Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
fredv fredv is offline

Default Impossible to properly remove the last unwanted section

Hi all and thanks for reading. Hoping you can also help !
I've a Word (2003 sp3) template with 3 sections (next page.)
Page 1 is section 1 portrait no header
Page 2 to x portrait header/footer not same as prev
Page x+1 landscape header/footer not same as prev

Many times the landscape section added for appendices is not necessary.

I read all the discussions about section breaks, still there is no way I can
remove my last landscape section without loosing all my headers/footers or
getting everything in landscape
--
Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"fredv" wrote in message
Hi all and thanks for reading. Hoping you can also help !
I've a Word (2003 sp3) template with 3 sections (next page.)
Page 1 is section 1 portrait no header
Page 2 to x portrait header/footer not same as prev
Page x+1 landscape header/footer not same as prev

Many times the landscape section added for appendices is not necessary.

I read all the discussions about section breaks, still there is no way I
can
remove my last landscape section without loosing all my headers/footers or
getting everything in landscape
--
Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
fredv fredv is offline

Suzan, Stefan,

As I wrote before i DID read the article and all other I found, before
posting. No one helped.
Take a .doc with 1 or 2 portrait section. Add a landscape section at the
end. Unlink header & footer, fit them to page. Save.

Now try to remove the landscape section without blank page at the end,
without having all in landscape, and WITH original headers/footers.

I tried all what I could. I would be very thankful if you have a solution.

Best regards from Fred in Brussels.
--
Fred

"fredv" wrote in message
Hi all and thanks for reading. Hoping you can also help !
I've a Word (2003 sp3) template with 3 sections (next page.)
Page 1 is section 1 portrait no header
Page 2 to x portrait header/footer not same as prev
Page x+1 landscape header/footer not same as prev

Many times the landscape section added for appendices is not necessary.

I read all the discussions about section breaks, still there is no way I
can
remove my last landscape section without loosing all my headers/footers or
getting everything in landscape
--
Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The section on "If you really want to delete the temporary section break
...." contains the information you need. You basically need to format the
final section exactly the same as the preceding one (including header/footer
and page orientation, margins, etc.), then delete the section break.

"fredv" wrote in message
Hi all and thanks for reading. Hoping you can also help !
I've a Word (2003 sp3) template with 3 sections (next page.)
Page 1 is section 1 portrait no header
Page 2 to x portrait header/footer not same as prev
Page x+1 landscape header/footer not same as prev

Many times the landscape section added for appendices is not necessary.

I read all the discussions about section breaks, still there is no way
can
remove my last landscape section without loosing all my headers/footers
or
getting everything in landscape
--
Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"fredv" wrote:

Suzan, Stefan,

As I wrote before i DID read the article and all other I found, before
posting. No one helped.
Take a .doc with 1 or 2 portrait section. Add a landscape section at the
end. Unlink header & footer, fit them to page. Save.

Now try to remove the landscape section without blank page at the end,
without having all in landscape, and WITH original headers/footers.

Very easy... Using your example of a document with two sections, the second
(last one) having different headers/footers and a landscape orientation...

First, go into the headers/footers of the last section (the one to be deleted)
Then, link all headers/footers to the previous section, this copies the
content of the previous section headers/footers into the last section.
Now unlink all the headers/footers in that last section. If you don't, you
will loose all headers/footers.
Finally, display non-printing characters with the ¶ button. Place the cursor
immediately before that last section break. Because you want to completely
remove the last section, do SHIFT-CTRL-End and hit Delete on the keyboard.

Done. You have just removed the last section, preserved the headers/footers
and orientation of the first section. At least, this is what I observed on my
machine with Word 2003. The trick is to remove the last section break *AND*
the last ¶ at the same time.

If, on the other hand, you had wanted to preserve the content of the last
section, but remove the section break, then the article you were pointed to
will do the trick.. Or, with the procedure I describe above, you would need
to first select the last section content, making sure not to select the
section break that precedes it and not to select the last ¶. If the last ¶ is
at the end of a paragrpah with text, hit enter to create an empty last
paragraph, or you migth loose the formating of that last paragrpah (Also,
make sure nothing is anchored to that last ¶, or any anchored object(s) will
be deleted as well). With the last section's content properly selected, hit
CTRL-X to cut it. Then proceed as above. At the end, do CTRL-End to place the
cursor at the end of the document. You might have to add a ¶ first if you do
not have an empty ¶. Do CTRL-V to paste the content back...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
fredv fredv is offline

Dear all,

I want to thank you for your help that is greatly appreciated!
Following precisely Jean-Guy's instructions is THE way - and the only way it
seems - to have this done properly.

I would like to make few comments on this, I don't know if you can forward
to whom it may concern:

1) It takes 4 mouse clicks to create a new section, it would be a nice MS
Word enhancement to be able to remove a section in 4 mouse clicks...
2) As an alternative, Jean-Guy's explanation should be added to MS Word
online help, as the help project does not describe how to do this - although
this is not an unusual need.
3) More, a section should be added to the help project, explaining how to
remove a section at the beginning, in the middle, at the end of a document!

Have fun, thanks again,

Frédéric
--
Fred