Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chuckmg Chuckmg is offline

Default getting automatic date but not checked

I have both Word 2003 and 2007 installed on my PC. In the last couple of
days, I noticed something strange about the dates but now it has become a
catastrophe! Trying to keep a journal of certain activities and use "insert
time". IThe automatic checkbox was left unchecked. But now, when I save
and reopen, ALL of the times are the current time not the time recorded.
This occurs for the time format 7:19 PM, but not for the format 19:15. And
this occurs in both Word 2003 & 2007 on the PC and Word 2004 on the Mac all
opening up the same file. With each open the times become the current time
as if the automatic date box was checked. It is only effecting the times
entered today. I have a heading date for each day, and then a bullet list
beneath with time stamps at the beginning of each bullet.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It appears the checkbox has become checked? Confirm by presing ALT+F9 to
toggle the fields.
It would be better if you inserted the time/date with a macro as text and
then the issue won't arise. The following macro will insert the current
time.

Sub InsertTimeLowerCase()
With Selection
.Collapse Direction:=wdCollapseStart
.InsertAfter Format(Time(), "h:mm" & Chr(160) & "am/pm")
.Collapse Direction:=wdCollapseEnd
End With
End Sub

(you can change the switch to insert the required format and/or add the date
if the above is not to your taste.)

Chuckmg wrote:
I have both Word 2003 and 2007 installed on my PC. In the last
couple of days, I noticed something strange about the dates but now
it has become a catastrophe! Trying to keep a journal of certain
activities and use "insert time". IThe automatic checkbox was left
unchecked. But now, when I save and reopen, ALL of the times are the
current time not the time recorded. This occurs for the time format
7:19 PM, but not for the format 19:15. And this occurs in both Word
2003 & 2007 on the PC and Word 2004 on the Mac all opening up the
same file. With each open the times become the current time as if
the automatic date box was checked. It is only effecting the times
entered today. I have a heading date for each day, and then a bullet
list beneath with time stamps at the beginning of each bullet.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chuckmg Chuckmg is offline

Graham,

As you suggested, I had already done a Alt+F9, and the result was
{ TIME \@ "h:mm am/pm" }

I entered the code you provided below, but got a system error with Time
highlighted:
Compile error:
Expected Function or variable.

Chuck

Chuckmg wrote:
I have both Word 2003 and 2007 installed on my PC. In the last
couple of days, I noticed something strange about the dates but now
it has become a catastrophe! Trying to keep a journal of certain
activities and use "insert time". IThe automatic checkbox was left
unchecked. But now, when I save and reopen, ALL of the times are the
current time not the time recorded. This occurs for the time format
7:19 PM, but not for the format 19:15. And this occurs in both Word
2003 & 2007 on the PC and Word 2004 on the Mac all opening up the
same file. With each open the times become the current time as if
the automatic date box was checked. It is only effecting the times
entered today. I have a heading date for each day, and then a bullet
list beneath with time stamps at the beginning of each bullet.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The macro

Sub InsertTimeLowerCase()
With Selection
.Collapse Direction:=wdCollapseStart
.InsertAfter Format(Time(), "h:mm" & Chr(160) & "am/pm")
.Collapse Direction:=wdCollapseEnd
End With
End Sub

will work in both Word 2003 and 2007 - check again with
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm that you have copied it
correctly.
The macro simply types the current time at the cursor position.
Pressing ALT+F9 merely confirms that you have entered a date field which
will of course update each time you open the document.