Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MSE MSE is offline

Default FlashCards

I am trying to format MS Word to make flashcards. I want to create a Word
doc that will print, onto blank 3x5 index cards, The vocabulary word, on the
front and the vocabulary word definition on the back?

For example, lets say I type, 20 vocabulary words and their definitions. I
want to be able to take 20 index cards put them on the printer tray and have
MS Word print all 20 flashcards on both sides.

In addition to looking for suggestions about how I should format MS Word in
order to do this, I am also wondering if you can recommend a printer with the
capability to print on both sides in one shot.

Do you have any ideas about how I might pull this off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You will either need a duplexing printer or you will need to print the
fronts and backs separately. Either way you will need to ensure that you
have the correct data on the back of the correct label. For that you will
need a macro. See http://www.gmayor.com/duplex_merge_data.htm

MSE wrote:
I am trying to format MS Word to make flashcards. I want to create a
Word doc that will print, onto blank 3x5 index cards, The vocabulary
word, on the front and the vocabulary word definition on the back?

For example, let's say I type, 20 vocabulary words and their
definitions. I want to be able to take 20 index cards put them on
the printer tray and have MS Word print all 20 flashcards on both
sides.

In addition to looking for suggestions about how I should format MS
Word in order to do this, I am also wondering if you can recommend a
printer with the capability to print on both sides in one shot.

Do you have any ideas about how I might pull this off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

No macro is really necessary if MSE is using individual index cards. All
that is required is to create the fronts and backs of the cards in sequence
as you would any other duplex document, then print as you would any duplex
document. You can use a duplexing printer or Word's "Manual duplex" setting,
or you can just print all the odd pages, flip the output are reinsert,
reverse the print order, and print the even pages.

MSE wrote:
I am trying to format MS Word to make flashcards. I want to create a
Word doc that will print, onto blank 3x5 index cards, The vocabulary
word, on the front and the vocabulary word definition on the back?

For example, let's say I type, 20 vocabulary words and their
definitions. I want to be able to take 20 index cards put them on
the printer tray and have MS Word print all 20 flashcards on both
sides.

In addition to looking for suggestions about how I should format MS
Word in order to do this, I am also wondering if you can recommend a
printer with the capability to print on both sides in one shot.

Do you have any ideas about how I might pull this off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

What he says is " I want to be able to take 20 index cards put them on the
printer tray and have MS Word print all 20 flashcards on both sides." To me
this implied that he was printing individual cards. I could, of course, be
wrong.

MSE wrote:
I am trying to format MS Word to make flashcards. I want to create
a Word doc that will print, onto blank 3x5 index cards, The
vocabulary word, on the front and the vocabulary word definition on
the back? For example, let's say I type, 20 vocabulary words and their
definitions. I want to be able to take 20 index cards put them on
the printer tray and have MS Word print all 20 flashcards on both
sides.

In addition to looking for suggestions about how I should format MS
Word in order to do this, I am also wondering if you can recommend a
printer with the capability to print on both sides in one shot.

Do you have any ideas about how I might pull this off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mary Sauer Mary Sauer is offline

The poster asked the same question in the Publisher group. I suggested he use
the perforated postcard stock.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

MSE wrote:
I am trying to format MS Word to make flashcards. I want to create
a Word doc that will print, onto blank 3x5 index cards, The
vocabulary word, on the front and the vocabulary word definition on
the back? For example, let's say I type, 20 vocabulary words and their
definitions. I want to be able to take 20 index cards put them on
the printer tray and have MS Word print all 20 flashcards on both
sides.

In addition to looking for suggestions about how I should format MS
Word in order to do this, I am also wondering if you can recommend a
printer with the capability to print on both sides in one shot.

Do you have any ideas about how I might pull this off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MSE MSE is offline

Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback its very useful. Perhaps I should have made one
part of my question more specific. How would you recommend I format Word in
order to make flashcards? i.e. Page Setup, Paper, Width 5", Height 3", can
you think of a better approach?

Suzanne, you said, "All that is required is to create the fronts and backs
of the cards
in sequence as you would any other duplex document, then print as you
would any duplex document. You can use a duplexing printer or Word's
"Manual duplex" setting" Can you give me more detail about the steps I need
to take in order to create a duplex document in Word 2003 and use its manual
duplex setting?

Mary, I want to stay away from using perforated postcard stock as I think it
tends to be more expensive than 3x5 index cards. Am I mistaken? Please let
me know if I am. I have to print a lot of these flashcards so I am trying to
cut costs wherever I can.

Graham, thanks for the link and Macro.

Sincerely,

Eddie

MSE wrote:
I am trying to format MS Word to make flashcards. I want to create
a Word doc that will print, onto blank 3x5 index cards, The
vocabulary word, on the front and the vocabulary word definition on
the back? For example, let's say I type, 20 vocabulary words and their
definitions. I want to be able to take 20 index cards put them on
the printer tray and have MS Word print all 20 flashcards on both
sides.

In addition to looking for suggestions about how I should format MS
Word in order to do this, I am also wondering if you can recommend a
printer with the capability to print on both sides in one shot.

Do you have any ideas about how I might pull this off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MSE MSE is offline

[...]

Graham, thanks for the link and the Macro.

Sincerely,

Eddie

MSE wrote:
I am trying to format MS Word to make flashcards. I want to create
a Word doc that will print, onto blank 3x5 index cards, The
vocabulary word, on the front and the vocabulary word definition on
the back? For example, let's say I type, 20 vocabulary words and their
definitions. I want to be able to take 20 index cards put them on
the printer tray and have MS Word print all 20 flashcards on both
sides.

In addition to looking for suggestions about how I should format MS
Word in order to do this, I am also wondering if you can recommend a
printer with the capability to print on both sides in one shot.

Do you have any ideas about how I might pull this off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mary Sauer Mary Sauer is offline

There are some ideas here.
http://www.abcteach.com/directory/basics/flashcards/

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

news

MSE wrote:
I am trying to format MS Word to make flashcards. I want to create
a Word doc that will print, onto blank 3x5 index cards, The
vocabulary word, on the front and the vocabulary word definition on
the back? For example, let's say I type, 20 vocabulary words and their
definitions. I want to be able to take 20 index cards put them on
the printer tray and have MS Word print all 20 flashcards on both
sides.

In addition to looking for suggestions about how I should format MS
Word in order to do this, I am also wondering if you can recommend a
printer with the capability to print on both sides in one shot.

Do you have any ideas about how I might pull this off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Assuming your printer can handle the 3" x 5" paper size, then just select
that size for your document. When you go to print, check the box for "Manual
duplex" in the Print dialog. I've never actually used this, but according to
Word's Help, "Manual duplex Enables you to print a document on both sides
of the paper if you don't have a duplex printer. After printing one side,
Word prompts you to feed the paper again." This in effect just automates the
process I described of printing the odd pages, flipping, then printing the
even pages in reverse order.

If the 3x5 size is not one supported by your printer by an actual paper
stock definition but within its paper-handling skills, you can still print
to that size from Word; you'll have to set the page to the next larger size
accommodated by the printer and make up the difference with margins.