Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
John Salerno John Salerno is offline

Default Linking text to bullet numbering?

Is it possible to do something like this...let's say I have a paragraph in a
document similar to this:

"No other provisions of this agreement, except Section 2 (Some Title),
Section 12 (Some Other Title), Section 14 (Yet Another Title), shall apply
to Some Important Thing."

Now, each of these sections is obviously numbered, as you can see, but the
numbering will change, and as a result the above paragraph must be manually
changed. So is there a way, instead, to link the numbers above to their
correspondingly numbered sections elsewhere in the document, so when the
bullet numbers change, this paragraph will change as well?

Thanks!

P.S. Word 2007, in case that matters.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

Cross-referencing does exactly what you want and will stay linked if
numbering changes due to new-section-insert or section-move.
Look under References group, Caption group, Cross reference command.
So long as you have used a Style for the section Heading, such as Heading 1,
these will be listed under Numered Item. Select the section you want to
reference, change the "Insert Reference to:" to what you want (Pragraph
number returns the section number), if you want number and text you need to
do both Paragraph number and Paragraph text. This will not return "Section"
unless you have added "Section" to the numbering format of the style.
Look in the Help for "Create a cross-reference" this has usefull instructions.
Beware, if a section title is deleted, the cross-reference remains and turns
into the "Error, reference cannot be found!" marker.

When you move, add new sections the numbers of existing cross-references do
not automatically refesh, to do this, Ctrl+A to select the whole document, F9
to refresh all fields, links, etc.

Hope this helps
DeanH

"John Salerno" wrote:

Is it possible to do something like this...let's say I have a paragraph in a
document similar to this:

"No other provisions of this agreement, except Section 2 (Some Title),
Section 12 (Some Other Title), Section 14 (Yet Another Title), shall apply
to Some Important Thing."

Now, each of these sections is obviously numbered, as you can see, but the
numbering will change, and as a result the above paragraph must be manually
changed. So is there a way, instead, to link the numbers above to their
correspondingly numbered sections elsewhere in the document, so when the
bullet numbers change, this paragraph will change as well?

Thanks!

P.S. Word 2007, in case that matters.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"DeanH" wrote in message
When you move, add new sections the numbers of existing cross-references
do
not automatically refesh, to do this, Ctrl+A to select the whole document,
F9
to refresh all fields, links, etc.

Well, when I follow your steps, I am able to turn "Section 2", for example,
into a link to whichever bulleted line I select beneath "Numbered List" (in
this case, the 2 became a 4). But when I then tested it out by adding a new
bullet, which changed the bullet #4 to a 5, I did Ctrl+A, F9 to refresh the
link, but the link remained as "Section 4" and did not become 5. Why didn't
that work?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"John Salerno" wrote in message
"DeanH" wrote in message
Well, when I follow your steps, I am able to turn "Section 2", for
example, into a link to whichever bulleted line I select beneath "Numbered
List" (in this case, the 2 became a 4). But when I then tested it out by
adding a new bullet, which changed the bullet #4 to a 5, I did Ctrl+A, F9
to refresh the link, but the link remained as "Section 4" and did not
become 5. Why didn't that work?

I even tried it on a new document just to make sure it wasn't the one I was
working with (which I didn't create myself). When I did it myself, the field
properly updated *once*, but when I kept adding new bullets (and therefore
changing the number of the section I want to reference) the link did not
update any more after the first time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
John Salerno John Salerno is offline

"John Salerno" wrote in message
I even tried it on a new document just to make sure it wasn't the one I
was working with (which I didn't create myself). When I did it myself, the
field properly updated *once*, but when I kept adding new bullets (and
therefore changing the number of the section I want to reference) the link
did not update any more after the first time.

Well, I think I figured it out. It wasn't working when I was doing something
specific to change the bullet numbering, i.e. putting the cursor on the item
I wanted to link to and pressing enter. This renumbers the bullets
correctly, but messes up the referencing. Adding bullets in other ways,
however, keeps the references in order.

Thanks for the original help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"DeanH" wrote in message
When you move, add new sections the numbers of existing cross-references
do
not automatically refesh, to do this, Ctrl+A to select the whole document,
F9
to refresh all fields, links, etc.

Quick note: it seems when you do a Print Preview, this also serves to update
all the fields in the document. Depending on how you have this set up (I
have a button in the toolbar up top), it could be faster than Ctrl+A/F9.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

The problem you experienced with your cross-references is most likely that
some Ref bookmarks point to the wrong paragraph. I understand that your
references are correct now. However, it may help you knowing why the problem
occurs and how to prevent it.

You may find help in the demo below Problem 2 at this address:
http://www.thedoctools.com/index.php...erence_trouble

About Print Preview and updating fields: Fields will only be updated when
changing to Print Preview if you have turned _on_ the setting Tools Options
Print tab €śUpdate fields€ť.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg