Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jomilli jomilli is offline

Default I Changed Normal.dotm template.

Doesnt work when other program sends txt to open Word for our reports. Tabs
when opening word for regular use, my changes are there. But when I run
reports from another program that spits out ansi txt, the Tabs and Font sizes
change. other company says they have no font or tabs settings in their
program. Somthing is changing/bypassing my default template in MSWord 2007.
This has never happend with any other MSOffice Word version in the last 15
years.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hello jomilli

jomilli wrote:
Doesnt work when other program sends txt to open Word for our reports. Tabs
when opening word for regular use, my changes are there. But when I run
reports from another program that spits out ansi txt, the Tabs and Font sizes
change. other company says they have no font or tabs settings in their
program. Somthing is changing/bypassing my default template in MSWord 2007.
This has never happend with any other MSOffice Word version in the last 15
years.

could you elaborate a bit mo your other application produces text
files, and you insert or open them in Word how?

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

While you can set the default plain text style in the normal.dotm template,
Word will ignore the changes when you open a text document, unless you force
it to use the settings you have created. The following macro in normal.dotm
will do that

Sub AutoOpen()
If LCase(Right(ActiveDocument.name, 3)) = "txt" Then
With Selection
.WholeStory
.Font.Reset
.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
End With
End If
End Sub

or you could simply set your preferences in the macro and forget about the
style eg

Sub Autoopen()
If LCase(Right(ActiveDocument.name, 3)) = "txt" Then
With Selection
.WholeStory
.Font.Name = "Verdana"
.Font.Size = 14
.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
End With
End If
End Sub

will set the font to 14 point Verdana

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

jomilli wrote:
Doesnt work when other program sends txt to open Word for our
reports. Tabs go back to old template default and Font size goes to
old template defualt. when opening word for regular use, my changes
are there. But when I run reports from another program that spits out
ansi txt, the Tabs and Font sizes change. other company says they
have no font or tabs settings in their program. Somthing is
changing/bypassing my default template in MSWord 2007. This has never
happend with any other MSOffice Word version in the last 15 years.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jomilli jomilli is offline

I was thinking all along a macro was changing things. Ok, how do I force Word
template to use the settings I have created? I tried to get to the macro and
see if I could change things there but it (word) wont let me open it for
editing. What should I do?

Joe

jomilli wrote:
Doesnt work when other program sends txt to open Word for our
reports. Tabs go back to old template default and Font size goes to
old template defualt. when opening word for regular use, my changes
are there. But when I run reports from another program that spits out
ansi txt, the Tabs and Font sizes change. other company says they
have no font or tabs settings in their program. Somthing is
changing/bypassing my default template in MSWord 2007. This has never
happend with any other MSOffice Word version in the last 15 years.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jomilli jomilli is offline

My other program sends the asci text straight to what ever program you
associate with it. Because of our formating needs, we use word.
Unfortunately, the macro you mentioned is reseting the formating.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello jomilli

jomilli wrote:
Doesnt work when other program sends txt to open Word for our reports. Tabs
when opening word for regular use, my changes are there. But when I run
reports from another program that spits out ansi txt, the Tabs and Font sizes
change. other company says they have no font or tabs settings in their
program. Somthing is changing/bypassing my default template in MSWord 2007.
This has never happend with any other MSOffice Word version in the last 15
years.

could you elaborate a bit mo your other application produces text
files, and you insert or open them in Word how?

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You would have to have the template opened in Word for the macro editor to
give access to the macros it contains. The first macro listed below, saved
in the normal template will ensure that text files with the txt extension
conform to the changes you have made to the plain text paragraph style.

jomilli wrote:
Doesnt work when other program sends txt to open Word for our
reports. Tabs go back to old template default and Font size goes to
old template defualt. when opening word for regular use, my changes
are there. But when I run reports from another program that spits
out ansi txt, the Tabs and Font sizes change. other company says
they have no font or tabs settings in their program. Somthing is
changing/bypassing my default template in MSWord 2007. This has
never happend with any other MSOffice Word version in the last 15
years.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jomilli jomilli is offline

Your code worked fine when opening a blank word document but when I selected
to use the output.txt the margins change back to the default 1'. I see where
I could set the Font and I like it, how about adding particular text in vba
about margins?