Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Alex Alex is offline

Default word 2003 "styles in use"

In Word 2003 SP3, suddenly last week the Styles and Formatting Task Pane,
Styles In Use, started to show the FULL list of all styles available, whether
they are in use in the document or not. I've tried an Office reinstall to try
to get it work correctly to only show the few styles actually in use in a
document, to no avail. I have tried older versions of my custom templates,
etc. Same problem persists. I used to use the "Formatting in Use" display
option heavily, but that option does not even show up now. I'd really
appreciate any help. Thanks so much.
--
Alex
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To get the Formatting in Use option back, go to Tools Options Editing tab
and put a check mark in the check box next to Keep track of formatting.
When that box is checked, you won't have the option of seeing Styles in use.
If that is all you want, you an stop reading.

Word considers any style that was ever used in a document or the template on
which it is based to be in use. Templates that are created from old
documents often have lots of these unused styles. Interestingly, when keep
track of formatting is on, Word can tell you whether a particular style is
actually used--and it counts the instances. For current documents and
templates, you can delete the unused styles one by one, you can use a macro
(I use one from the Editorium
http://lists.topica.com/lists/editor...mid=1717381416 .).
or you can follow the advice in this Knowledge base article for W2000 might
also work on anything up to W2003:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;193536. To avoid
having lots of unused styles in you new documents, clean up your templates.

It is seldom helpful to reinstall Office software. Most problems seem to be
like yours-- settings or formatting based.

HTH,
PamC

Alex wrote:
In Word 2003 SP3, suddenly last week the Styles and Formatting Task Pane,
Styles In Use, started to show the FULL list of all styles available, whether
they are in use in the document or not. I've tried an Office reinstall to try
to get it work correctly to only show the few styles actually in use in a
document, to no avail. I have tried older versions of my custom templates,
etc. Same problem persists. I used to use the "Formatting in Use" display
option heavily, but that option does not even show up now. I'd really
appreciate any help. Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gregory K. Maxey Gregory K. Maxey is offline

You might try this as well:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Style_Report.htm

Alex wrote:
In Word 2003 SP3, suddenly last week the Styles and Formatting Task
Pane, Styles In Use, started to show the FULL list of all styles
available, whether they are in use in the document or not. I've
tried an Office reinstall to try to get it work correctly to only
show the few styles actually in use in a document, to no avail. I
have tried older versions of my custom templates, etc. Same problem
persists. I used to use the "Formatting in Use" display option
heavily, but that option does not even show up now. I'd really
appreciate any help. Thanks so much.

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org