Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mikat Mikat is offline

Default How can I turn off the document defaulting to showing markup?

I do not want Word to show the markup for every new document that I open, how
can I change the default view?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Exit Word. Search for normal.dot (or normal.dotm if you are using Word 2007)
in Windows and rename the file when you find it. The factory defaults will
be restored as you start Word again.

Note that in order to find normal.dot (normal.dotm) you will have to search
hidden files and folders.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mikat" wrote in message
I do not want Word to show the markup for every new document that I open,
how
can I change the default view?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Mikat wrote:
I do not want Word to show the markup for every new document that I
open, how can I change the default view?

_New_ documents should not show any markup. Maybe you have some tracked
changes or comments accidentally saved in your Normal.dot template
(Normal.dotm for Word 2007). See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm.

If you're talking about opening existing documents, there is a setting in
Tools Options Security in Word 2003, "Make hidden markup visible when
opening or saving" (in Word 2007, the same setting is in Office button
Word Options Trust Center Trust Center Settings Privacy Options). That
setting should be left checked if you ever send Word documents to other
users, because it can help to prevent embarrassing or legally damaging
information from leaving your computer.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman