Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
VAS VAS is offline

Default page breaks

Using Word 2002
I want to insert a page break that doesn't have formatting attached to it.
It seems to cause no end of problems with captions. It seems that anytime I
insert a page break without formatting I have to have a space before the next
formatted element.

Thanks
Vikki
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Instead of inserting a page break with Ctrl+Enter, format the following
paragraph as "Page break before" (Line and Page Breaks tab of Format |
Paragraph). If there is a specific heading level that should always begin a
new page, incorporate this setting in the heading style.

"VAS" wrote in message
Using Word 2002
I want to insert a page break that doesn't have formatting attached to it.
It seems to cause no end of problems with captions. It seems that anytime

insert a page break without formatting I have to have a space before the

next
formatted element.

Thanks
Vikki

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ligninman ligninman is offline

I have a page with a header and a footer and no matter whether I save it as a
template or a document, when I edit it, or add text, I cannot type to the
bottom of the page because my header and footer move to page 2. How do I
insert a page break before the footer. All suggestions I have seen do not
seem to work.

I'm simply trying to create some stationary.

Geoff

"VAS" wrote in message
Using Word 2002
I want to insert a page break that doesn't have formatting attached to it.
It seems to cause no end of problems with captions. It seems that anytime

insert a page break without formatting I have to have a space before the

next
formatted element.

Thanks
Vikki

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It sounds as if you have not created the footer as a footer. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Instead of inserting a page break with Ctrl+Enter, format the following
paragraph as "Page break before" (Line and Page Breaks tab of Format |
Paragraph). If there is a specific heading level that should always begin
new page, incorporate this setting in the heading style.

so
all may benefit.

"VAS" wrote in message
Using Word 2002
I want to insert a page break that doesn't have formatting attached to
it.
It seems to cause no end of problems with captions. It seems that
anytime

insert a page break without formatting I have to have a space before
the

next
formatted element.

Thanks
Vikki

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ligninman ligninman is offline

Actually I HAVE created the footer as a footer and the header as a header.
But, with a Header and a Footer, set on the page, when I type part way down
the page a new page, identical to the original, (with header and footer)
appears as Page 2.

I have been unable to understand your comments about createdate and I have
spent hours trying to find the Header and Footer toolbar(without success). I
am using Word 2007, part of the Office 2007 Microsoft Office 2007 program,
under Windows Vista Ultimate. All service packs have been applied.

Do you or anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong here? PLEASE. I guess
all I need to know is how to "Lock" the header and footer areas to just the
first page. I need blank pages after the first one.

"VAS" wrote in message
Using Word 2002
I want to insert a page break that doesn't have formatting attached to
it.
It seems to cause no end of problems with captions. It seems that
anytime
insert a page break without formatting I have to have a space before
the
next
formatted element.

Thanks
Vikki

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You need to enable "Different first page" and put your header and footer in
the First Page Header and First Page Footer, leaving the Header and Footer
blank. There is no Header and Footer toolbar in Word 2007. As noted at the
beginning of the article, http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm
has not been updated for Word 2007. If you look at the "What's new for Word
2007 users" section of http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm,
perhaps you will find your way better.

The original poster in this thread was using Word 2002; you did not mention
that you were using Word 2007.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Instead of inserting a page break with Ctrl+Enter, format the
following
paragraph as "Page break before" (Line and Page Breaks tab of Format |
Paragraph). If there is a specific heading level that should always
begin
new page, incorporate this setting in the heading style.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.