Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2003 Indents

The Hanging Indent marker on the ruler is a triangle. The Left Indent
Marker is a rectangle that is immediately beneath the Hanging Indent
marker. Am I recalling correctly that there is some way to drag the
triangle without dragging the rectangle? That is, there is some way to
separate the Hanging Indent marker from the Left Indent marker. As I
recall, the selection was made by carefully positioning the cursor over
the Hanging Indent marker prior to dragging it. However, I am unable to
move the triangle without moving the rectangle. Or has my memory played
a trick on me again?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I think you're remembering wrong. Setting a hanging indent in effect changes
the left indent and creates a negative first-line indent, though that's not
the way Word represents it in the Paragraph dialog.

If you think about it, though, if the top triangle represents the first line
and the bottom triangle the rest of the lines, what would the rectangle
represent if you had a hanging indent separated from it? What the rectangle
is for is to drag both the triangles, thus creating an indent in both the
first line and the rest of the lines.

"mcp6453" wrote in message
The Hanging Indent marker on the ruler is a triangle. The Left Indent
Marker is a rectangle that is immediately beneath the Hanging Indent
marker. Am I recalling correctly that there is some way to drag the
triangle without dragging the rectangle? That is, there is some way to
separate the Hanging Indent marker from the Left Indent marker. As I
recall, the selection was made by carefully positioning the cursor over
the Hanging Indent marker prior to dragging it. However, I am unable to
move the triangle without moving the rectangle. Or has my memory played a
trick on me again?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I think you're remembering wrong. Setting a hanging indent in effect changes
the left indent and creates a negative first-line indent, though that's not
the way Word represents it in the Paragraph dialog.

If you think about it, though, if the top triangle represents the first line
and the bottom triangle the rest of the lines, what would the rectangle
represent if you had a hanging indent separated from it? What the rectangle
is for is to drag both the triangles, thus creating an indent in both the
first line and the rest of the lines.

You're right. I went back to my old system, and it did not work as I
remember.

Thanks!