Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mickey Mickey is offline

Default Need Help Desperately

Hi, I have a document that was sent to me. In the document there are
cross-references to tables. For example, "Table 1" is shaded in gray and
when you click on it it brings you to Table 1. It works great for all 4
tables in the document. Problem is when I try to insert a new table I don't
see that table is the insert cross references table dialog box. The table
headers are all marked with style "Mark Table". How do I update the dialog
box to include new tables that I add? I have been pulling my hair out all
night........

Your help is most appreciated.

Thanks,
Mickey

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

A table as such is never automatically listed in the cross-reference dialog
box. There are two possible solutions.

Solution 1:
Insert a _table caption_ above, below or in the table (in case of Word 2003:
Insert Reference Caption). Once you have inserted a table caption, that
caption should appear in the Cross-reference dialog box when you select Table
as the reference type.

By default, a table caption consists of a label, e.g. €œTable€ followed by a
field of the type SEQ. Try to select one of the existing table captions and
press Shift+F9 to toggle the field code. You will see that the field code
looks something like:
{ SEQ Table \* ARABIC }

In order for your new captions to be part of the same sequence as the
existing captions, the identifier, in this case the word €œLabel€ in the field
code, must be exactly the same. You can type the table caption field manually
if you wish:
1. Cltr+F9 to insert the field brackets (cannot be typed in other ways).
2. Type the correct text between the brackets.
3. Press F9 to update the field.
4. If this does not toggle the field code, press Alt+F9.

Solution 2:
If the existing tables do not have captions, I think they have been
bookmarked: select the table, add a bookmark with an appropriate name (in
case of Word 2003: Insert Bookmark €“ type a name, OK). You can the insert a
cross-reference to the bookmark, i.e. select Bookmark as the reference type
in the Cross-reference dialog box.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Mickey" wrote:

Hi, I have a document that was sent to me. In the document there are
cross-references to tables. For example, "Table 1" is shaded in gray and
when you click on it it brings you to Table 1. It works great for all 4
tables in the document. Problem is when I try to insert a new table I don't
see that table is the insert cross references table dialog box. The table
headers are all marked with style "Mark Table". How do I update the dialog
box to include new tables that I add? I have been pulling my hair out all
night........

Your help is most appreciated.

Thanks,
Mickey

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Correction to Solution 2 in my previous post:
I wrote: "select the table" €“ should have been €œselect the table _name_€
(i.e. the name you want to appear in the cross-reference €“ must be written
somewhere above, below or in the table).

--

"Mickey" wrote:

Hi, I have a document that was sent to me. In the document there are
cross-references to tables. For example, "Table 1" is shaded in gray and
when you click on it it brings you to Table 1. It works great for all 4
tables in the document. Problem is when I try to insert a new table I don't
see that table is the insert cross references table dialog box. The table
headers are all marked with style "Mark Table". How do I update the dialog
box to include new tables that I add? I have been pulling my hair out all
night........

Your help is most appreciated.

Thanks,
Mickey

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mickey Mickey is offline

Thank you so much. As much as I work in Word I've never had to use captions.
I wish I would have asked the question yesterday!!!

Thanks again,
Mickey