rutica rutica is offline
Junior Member

Default more than one line in an online form

I am using Word 2003. I created a form that users complete in Word (online form).

All is well until I get to a section where I want 3 blank lines, such as:

Explain:

First I created a table with one column and 3 rows and hide the left and right borders. But let's say users need to enter text that takes 2 lines. When they get to the end of the first line and need to enter more text, they don't end up jumping to the line below. The first sentence ends up floating above the underline.

So it looks like:

Explain:
Blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah

blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah bla

Instead of
Explain:
Blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah

blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah bla

Is there a way for all the text to have an underline?

Thanks,

Last edited by rutica : August 4th 08 at 10:23 PM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Rutica,

Is there a reason you need the lines? You could use a single-cell table with the row height set to 'at least' or 'exactly' your
preferred dimension.

--
Cheers
macropod

"rutica" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

And if the lines are truly important, you can use drawing lines anchored to
the paragraph in the cell. This takes a bit of trial and error, but you can
get them spaced to match the line spacing of the paragraph so that text
wraps naturally onto the lines (or appearing to be so).

"rutica" wrote in message

[...]

rutica rutica is offline
Junior Member

Thanks to both of you for writing.

Macropod: I wanted the lines because I was trying to recreate a currently used form and that is how the original is displayed. You said to "use a single-cell table with the row height set to 'at least' or 'exactly' your preferred dimension". To try your suggestion, I created a 1 column/1 row table with a row height of 'at least' 1". But then I just end up with a box. If a user types 2 rows of text, I don't get the underlines beneath each line.

Suzanne: I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "use drawing lines anchored to the paragraph in the cell." To try your suggestion, I created a table with 1 column/3 rows. In Borders and Shading I removed the left and right border lines. Then from the Drawing toolbar I dragged the Line icon 3 different times to try to match the 3 rows in my table. But, when testing it, when I get to the end of a line and keep typing or press Enter, the second line still floats on top of the line instead of resting on the line.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi rutica,

Here's a simple way to get the lines within the table cell:
1. Insert a right-aligned tab stop at the cell's right-hand margin
2. Insert 3 tabs into the cell
3. Select the cell's contents and underline them
4. Justify the cell's paragraph.
5. Adjust the paragraph's 'before' spacing and line spacing to suit your needs.
Now any text typed into the cell will be underlined (unless the user switches the underlining off) and the unused portion will
retain the lines (unless the user goes into overtype mode or inserts a paragraph or line break.

--
Cheers
macropod

"rutica" wrote in message ...

[...]

wrote in message
...-

[...]

rutica rutica is offline
Junior Member

Thanks to both of you again for writing. I'm sorry for the delay in responding. I forgot to subscribe to the thread and thought no one had replied.

Suzanne: You wrote: "You use a single cell, with the drawing lines behind it". I don't quite understand what that means. I read thru the link you provided (nice stuff!), but couldn't find how to add the floating lines.

Macropod: I tried your way. Although while typing, the user will see 2 underlines (one from the table and one from the underlined text), when the user gets to the end of the line and begins the next line, the underline no longer floats! great!

Another question: I use Form Field Shading for the text boxes, is there a way for me to make the gray color be larger than 5 spaces?

thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macropod[_2_] View Post

"rutica" wrote in message ...

[...]

lid wrote in message
...-
Hi Rutica,

Is there a reason you need the lines? You could use a single-cell
table
with the row height set to 'at least' or 'exactly' your preferred
dimension.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"rutica"
wrote in message
...-

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The drawing lines method is explained in #3 of

"rutica" wrote in message

Thanks to both of you again for writing. I'm sorry for the delay in
responding. I forgot to subscribe to the thread and thought no one had
replied.

*Suzanne*: You wrote: "You use a single cell, with the drawing lines
behind it". I don't quite understand what that means. I read thru the
link you provided (nice stuff!), but couldn't find how to add the
floating lines.

*Macropod*: I tried your way. Although while typing, the user will see
2 underlines (one from the table and one from the underlined text),
when the user gets to the end of the line and begins the next line, the
underline no longer floats! great!

Another question: I use Form Field Shading for the text boxes, is
there a way for me to make the gray color be larger than 5 spaces?

thanks again!

'macropod[_2_ Wrote:
;356333']Hi rutica,

Here's a simple way to get the lines within the table cell:
1. Insert a right-aligned tab stop at the cell's right-hand margin
2. Insert 3 tabs into the cell
3. Select the cell's contents and underline them
4. Justify the cell's paragraph.
5. Adjust the paragraph's 'before' spacing and line spacing to suit
your needs.
Now any text typed into the cell will be underlined (unless the user
switches the underlining off) and the unused portion will
retain the lines (unless the user goes into overtype mode or inserts a
paragraph or line break.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"rutica" wrote in message
...-

[...]

lid wrote in message
...-
Hi Rutica,

Is there a reason you need the lines? You could use a single-cell
table
with the row height set to 'at least' or 'exactly' your preferred
dimension.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"rutica"
wrote in message
...-

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Another question: I use Form Field Shading for the text boxes, is
there a way for me to make the gray color be larger than 5 spaces?

Yes: You can set the default text to as many as 255 characters (eg spaces).

--
Cheers
macropod

"rutica" wrote in message ...

Thanks to both of you again for writing. I'm sorry for the delay in
responding. I forgot to subscribe to the thread and thought no one had
replied.

*Suzanne*: You wrote: "You use a single cell, with the drawing lines
behind it". I don't quite understand what that means. I read thru the
link you provided (nice stuff!), but couldn't find how to add the
floating lines.

*Macropod*: I tried your way. Although while typing, the user will see
2 underlines (one from the table and one from the underlined text),
when the user gets to the end of the line and begins the next line, the
underline no longer floats! great!

Another question: I use Form Field Shading for the text boxes, is
there a way for me to make the gray color be larger than 5 spaces?

thanks again!

'macropod[_2_ Wrote:
;356333']Hi rutica,

Here's a simple way to get the lines within the table cell:
1. Insert a right-aligned tab stop at the cell's right-hand margin
2. Insert 3 tabs into the cell
3. Select the cell's contents and underline them
4. Justify the cell's paragraph.
5. Adjust the paragraph's 'before' spacing and line spacing to suit
your needs.
Now any text typed into the cell will be underlined (unless the user
switches the underlining off) and the unused portion will
retain the lines (unless the user goes into overtype mode or inserts a
paragraph or line break.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"rutica" wrote in message
...-

[...]

lid wrote in message
...-
Hi Rutica,

Is there a reason you need the lines? You could use a single-cell
table
with the row height set to 'at least' or 'exactly' your preferred
dimension.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"rutica"
wrote in message
...-

[...]

rutica rutica is offline
Junior Member

Thanks again for writing!

Suzanne: I read the article and tried your suggestion. I added 2
drawing lines and then typed in text to test it. But when I get to the
end of the first line and keep typing, the second line gets underlined,
but the first one loses its underline. So the first line is floating.

Macropod: I changed the Text Form Field Option Maximum Size to
255, but the gray shading is still only 5 spaces wide.

"rutica" wrote in message ...

Thanks to both of you again for writing. I'm sorry for the delay in
responding. I forgot to subscribe to the thread and thought no one had
replied.

*Suzanne*: You wrote: "You use a single cell, with the drawing lines
behind it". I don't quite understand what that means. I read thru the
link you provided (nice stuff!), but couldn't find how to add the
floating lines.

*Macropod*: I tried your way. Although while typing, the user will see
2 underlines (one from the table and one from the underlined text),
when the user gets to the end of the line and begins the next line, the
underline no longer floats! great!

Another question: I use Form Field Shading for the text boxes, is
there a way for me to make the gray color be larger than 5 spaces?

thanks again!

'macropod[_2_ Wrote:
;356333']Hi rutica,

Here's a simple way to get the lines within the table cell:
1. Insert a right-aligned tab stop at the cell's right-hand margin
2. Insert 3 tabs into the cell
3. Select the cell's contents and underline them
4. Justify the cell's paragraph.
5. Adjust the paragraph's 'before' spacing and line spacing to suit
your needs.
Now any text typed into the cell will be underlined (unless the user
switches the underlining off) and the unused portion will
retain the lines (unless the user goes into overtype mode or inserts a
paragraph or line break.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"rutica"
wrote in message
...-

[...]

lid wrote in message
...-
Hi Rutica,

Is there a reason you need the lines? You could use a single-cell
table
with the row height set to 'at least' or 'exactly' your preferred
dimension.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"rutica"
wrote in message
...-

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi rutica,

What you need to do is to set the default text (not the max text length) to as many characters as you require (up to 255) to get the
desired width.

As for the underlining, I'm not sure whether your previous reply addressed to me means you think it solved the problem. If
implemented the way I suggested, I believe it would have.

--
Cheers
macropod

"rutica" wrote in message ...

Thanks again for writing!

*Suzanne*: I read the article and tried your suggestion. I added 2
drawing lines and then typed in text to test it. But when I get to the
end of the first line and keep typing, the second line gets
underlined,
but the first one loses its underline. So the first line is floating.

*Macropod*: I changed the Text Form Field Option Maximum Size to
255, but the gray shading is still only 5 spaces wide.

Thanks!

'macropod[_2_ Wrote:
;359646'] Another question: I use Form Field Shading for the text
boxes, is-
there a way for me to make the gray color be larger than 5 spaces?-

Yes: You can set the default text to as many as 255 characters (eg
spaces).

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"rutica" wrote in message
...-

[...]

'macropod[_2_ Wrote: -
;356333']Hi rutica,

Here's a simple way to get the lines within the table cell:
1. Insert a right-aligned tab stop at the cell's right-hand margin
2. Insert 3 tabs into the cell
3. Select the cell's contents and underline them
4. Justify the cell's paragraph.
5. Adjust the paragraph's 'before' spacing and line spacing to suit
your needs.
Now any text typed into the cell will be underlined (unless the user
switches the underlining off) and the unused portion will
retain the lines (unless the user goes into overtype mode or inserts
paragraph or line break.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"rutica"
wrote in message
...-

[...]

lid wrote in message
...-
Hi Rutica,

Is there a reason you need the lines? You could use a single-cell
table
with the row height set to 'at least' or 'exactly' your preferred
dimension.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"rutica"
wrote in message
...-

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It *will* work if you set the position of all the drawing lines Relative to
Paragraph. That way they will be anchored to the first line of the
paragraph.

'macropod[_2_ Wrote:
;359646'] Another question: I use Form Field Shading for the text
boxes, is-
there a way for me to make the gray color be larger than 5 spaces?-

Yes: You can set the default text to as many as 255 characters (eg
spaces).

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"rutica" wrote in message
...-

[...]

'macropod[_2_ Wrote: -
;356333']Hi rutica,

Here's a simple way to get the lines within the table cell:
1. Insert a right-aligned tab stop at the cell's right-hand margin
2. Insert 3 tabs into the cell
3. Select the cell's contents and underline them
4. Justify the cell's paragraph.
5. Adjust the paragraph's 'before' spacing and line spacing to suit
your needs.
Now any text typed into the cell will be underlined (unless the user
switches the underlining off) and the unused portion will
retain the lines (unless the user goes into overtype mode or inserts
paragraph or line break.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"rutica"
wrote in message
...-

[...]

lid wrote in message
...-
Hi Rutica,

Is there a reason you need the lines? You could use a single-cell
table
with the row height set to 'at least' or 'exactly' your preferred
dimension.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"rutica"
wrote in message
...-

[...]

How do you set up an online form? Susan Microsoft Word Help 1 July 4th 06 10:17 PM
Online form question PA New Users 4 December 20th 05 04:22 PM
Why do some things disappear in my online form domi626 Microsoft Word Help 2 October 14th 05 11:09 PM
Problem with "IF" in online form Cave_Canem90 Microsoft Word Help 2 March 6th 05 09:05 PM
Online form - blank lines DPEB Microsoft Word Help 1 December 2nd 04 08:11 PM