Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Anita Anita is offline

Default How do I keep endnotes from throwing page numbers off

I am editing a collection of essays, with endnotes. The endnotes must begin
again with one for each essay, but the page numbering for the text should be
continuous. I can't get the page numbers to come out right. Another thing
that seems to be a problem is that I need to keep even number flush left, and
odd numbers flush right. This document also has running heads in each
chapter (that are different). I have figured out how to properly use section
breaks, but the pagination is not working at all. There are several
questions buried in there, and I would greatly appreciate help with any one
of them!

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You've got the section breaks worked out and presumably the "Different odd
and even" running heads to allow for "outside" page number placement.
Provided you don't have any section breaks within a given essay, the
footnote numbering should also work out okay. By default, your page
numbering should be continuous (should not restart in each section), but if
you restarted at 1 after some initial front matter, then every new section
you create is going to start at 1 as well. You'll have to go to Format Page
Number in each section (use the button on the Header and Footer toolbar) and
change "Start at" to "Continue from previous section."

"Anita" wrote in message
news
I am editing a collection of essays, with endnotes. The endnotes must
begin
again with one for each essay, but the page numbering for the text should
be
continuous. I can't get the page numbers to come out right. Another
thing
that seems to be a problem is that I need to keep even number flush left,
and
odd numbers flush right. This document also has running heads in each
chapter (that are different). I have figured out how to properly use
section
breaks, but the pagination is not working at all. There are several
questions buried in there, and I would greatly appreciate help with any
one
of them!

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Anita Anita is offline

Thank you...there's something more going on that I can't figure out, though.
Each essay has an endnote section, and that is followed by works cited. I
read (I think on this forum) that I should put my section break at the end of
the essay (i.e., before the endnotes) in order for the endnotes to follow the
text, and then allow the works cited to follow the endnotes. I think that
some of the contributors to the collection have embedded something tricky in
their essays, because the above named method works just fine for most of the
essays, but some are getting thrown way off. I'm just about at my wits end
with this.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You've got the section breaks worked out and presumably the "Different odd
and even" running heads to allow for "outside" page number placement.
Provided you don't have any section breaks within a given essay, the
footnote numbering should also work out okay. By default, your page
numbering should be continuous (should not restart in each section), but if
you restarted at 1 after some initial front matter, then every new section
you create is going to start at 1 as well. You'll have to go to Format Page
Number in each section (use the button on the Header and Footer toolbar) and
change "Start at" to "Continue from previous section."

"Anita" wrote in message
news
I am editing a collection of essays, with endnotes. The endnotes must
begin
again with one for each essay, but the page numbering for the text should
be
continuous. I can't get the page numbers to come out right. Another
thing
that seems to be a problem is that I need to keep even number flush left,
and
odd numbers flush right. This document also has running heads in each
chapter (that are different). I have figured out how to properly use
section
breaks, but the pagination is not working at all. There are several
questions buried in there, and I would greatly appreciate help with any
one
of them!

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you want the endnotes at the end of each essay, then you need to do
nothing except set "End of section" for placement and make sure that
"Suppress endnotes" is not checked on the Layout tab of Page Setup for that
section. If you want all the endnotes collected at the end of the
collection, then you need to suppress them in every section up to the one
where you want to insert them (instead of using the "End of document"
setting); this allows you to put Works Cited after the endnotes. If you want
endnotes at the end of each essay and Works Cited for the essay following
those, then you're going to have to create a separate section for the Works
Cited, which is definitely going to be a lot of work. And don't overlook the
possibility that some of the writers may have inadvertently typed the Works
Cited actually in the endnotes section (you can figure this out easily by
switching to Normal view and viewing the endnotes in the endnotes pane; if
the Works Cited are there, you can select them and cut them out and paste
them elsewhere.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You've got the section breaks worked out and presumably the "Different
odd
and even" running heads to allow for "outside" page number placement.
Provided you don't have any section breaks within a given essay, the
footnote numbering should also work out okay. By default, your page
numbering should be continuous (should not restart in each section), but
if
you restarted at 1 after some initial front matter, then every new
section
you create is going to start at 1 as well. You'll have to go to Format
Page
Number in each section (use the button on the Header and Footer toolbar)
and
change "Start at" to "Continue from previous section."

news