Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
BretMan BretMan is offline

Default Text in Table Cells problem

Hello, I just joined in hopes someone can help me with an issue that's
driving me nuts.
I'm running MS XP Pro, Office 2002 SP2

I have a table with 5 columns and about 90 rows. The column's widths I
want fixed to where I move them. The rows's height should auto adjust
to the amount of text that's in them.

The problem is when I enter text in the individual cells, and I get to
the right margin line of the individual cells, the text keeps going to
the right, apparently Under the right cell line, beneath the next cell
(??? very odd) and are not visible. I want the text to auto return down
in the same cell to the left cell line when it reaches the right cell
line, making the cell/row taller only.

Please tell me exactly what I need to check or uncheck to get it to do
what I need.

Many thanks beforehand!
Bret

--
BretMan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
BretMan[_2_] BretMan[_2_] is offline

Thank you Suzanne. I NEVER would have figured that out! It's better -
the Format, Indent box showed Right at -.5 and I scrolled it to 0.
Resulting with that the text will still will go under the next cell a
few keystrokes but then it does eventually return to the left side -
can that be improved? I then selected (highlighted) the whole table to
apply this to all cells and the Format selections were all blank, so I
added a 0 in the Indent box only and that seemed to work for all the
cells the same way. However, this is working only for the first line of
text in a cell and only for one return. When the second line of text
gets to the right cell line, it doesn't return and instead the column
stretches wider to accommodate the text. Not good. What do you
suggest?

BretMan;3094943 Wrote:

The problem is when I enter text in the individual cells, and I get to
the right margin line of the individual cells, the text keeps going to
the right, apparently Under the right cell line, beneath the next cell
(??? very odd) and are not visible. I want the text to auto return down
in the same cell to the left cell line when it reaches the right cell
line, making the cell/row taller only.
/QUOTE]

--
BretMan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You might check what your cell margins are, but the only reason I can think
of for this is the negative indent, so presumably there are some paragraphs
or cell markers that have escaped/resisted formatting.

BretMan;3094943 Wrote:

The problem is when I enter text in the individual cells, and I get to
the right margin line of the individual cells, the text keeps going to
the right, apparently Under the right cell line, beneath the next cell
(??? very odd) and are not visible. I want the text to auto return down
in the same cell to the left cell line when it reaches the right cell
line, making the cell/row taller only.
/QUOTE]

--
BretMan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
BretMan[_3_] BretMan[_3_] is offline

I see - hence the "Frustration" I'm feeling. I dug deep for an old table
that I remembered to behave correctly, to compare settings. The settings
match my new table and when I tried it out, it too behaved correctly for
one return but after the second return - creating a third line, the
column would stretch out, as if it's insisting I'm only to have 2 lines
of text. I looked at the available settings under Table Properties -
Column, Row. What do you think about the options there and do they
apply to this problem?

Bret

Suzanne S. Barnhill;3096911 Wrote:
You might check what your cell margins are, but the only reason I can
think
of for this is the negative indent, so presumably there are some
paragraphs
or cell markers that have escaped/resisted formatting.

...-

BretMan;3094943 Wrote:-

The problem is when I enter text in the individual cells, and I get
the right margin line of the individual cells, the text keeps going
the right, apparently Under the right cell line, beneath the next
cell
(??? very odd) and are not visible. I want the text to auto return
down
in the same cell to the left cell line when it reaches the right cell
line, making the cell/row taller only.
/QUOTE]-

--
BretMan
-

--
BretMan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If the row is set to an exact height, then the text would (eventually)
disappear, but it would really be running over at the bottom, not on the
right side.

http://word.mvps.org

"BretMan" wrote in message

I see - hence the "Frustration" I'm feeling. I dug deep for an old table
that I remembered to behave correctly, to compare settings. The settings
match my new table and when I tried it out, it too behaved correctly for
one return but after the second return - creating a third line, the
column would stretch out, as if it's insisting I'm only to have 2 lines
of text. I looked at the available settings under Table Properties -
Column, Row. What do you think about the options there and do they
apply to this problem?

Bret

Suzanne S. Barnhill;3096911 Wrote:
You might check what your cell margins are, but the only reason I can
think
of for this is the negative indent, so presumably there are some
paragraphs
or cell markers that have escaped/resisted formatting.

...-