Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Campbell Campbell is offline

Default Insert col in Word table

How can I insert a column in a Word table without having the table expand
beyond the width of the screen? I wish to adjust the column widths after to
make it fit.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You probably can't, but if you switch to Normal/Draft view, you will be able
to see the entire table and haul it back in line. Alternatively, you can
reduce the sizes of the existing columns before adding one.

http://word.mvps.org

"Campbell" wrote in message
news
How can I insert a column in a Word table without having the table expand
beyond the width of the screen? I wish to adjust the column widths after
make it fit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Campbell,

You could try using the 'preferred width' option for the table; that way it will stay the same width regardless of how many caolumns
you've got - the width of all columns will expand/contract to scale the preferred columns widths to suit.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Campbell" wrote in message news
How can I insert a column in a Word table without having the table expand
beyond the width of the screen? I wish to adjust the column widths after to
make it fit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

An alternative solution would be to split one of the existing columns. Select
the column you want to split into two or more columns. Then select Table
Split Cells. In the "Split Cells" dialog box, turn off "Merge cells before
split", select the desired number of columns and click OK. The table will
retain its original width.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Campbell" wrote:

How can I insert a column in a Word table without having the table expand
beyond the width of the screen? I wish to adjust the column widths after to
make it fit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Both macropod's and Lene's answers are better than mine. I thought about the
Preferred Width, but my experience has been that "preferred" doesn't always
mean "exact." In this case, however, it is honored; if you set the table
width to 100% (or a specific width in inches or cm), you can add a column
without increasing the width. I think I would find that probably a little
easier than splitting a column that contains content.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You probably can't, but if you switch to Normal/Draft view, you will be
able
to see the entire table and haul it back in line. Alternatively, you can
reduce the sizes of the existing columns before adding one.

http://word.mvps.org

news