Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
CMEknit CMEknit is offline

Default Joining table sections

Here's my issue ... I have a document that's a large table. There are
paragraphs that separate some rows of the table from others, but I cannot
figure out why and have been unsuccessful in deleting those paragraph marks.

I've researched this on this website and have tried all the tips previously
posted, so now I think my best bet is to copy and paste the sections into a
new document unless someone has other tips that will allow me to continue
with the current document as that would be easiest.

Thanks for the assistance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

How are you trying to delete them? Note that you will be unable to get table
sections to join if any part of the table has become wrapped. On the Table
tab of Table Properties for each portion, make sure that "Text wrapping" is
set to None.

http://word.mvps.org

"CMEknit" wrote in message
Here's my issue ... I have a document that's a large table. There are
paragraphs that separate some rows of the table from others, but I cannot
figure out why and have been unsuccessful in deleting those paragraph
marks.

I've researched this on this website and have tried all the tips
previously
posted, so now I think my best bet is to copy and paste the sections into
new document unless someone has other tips that will allow me to continue
with the current document as that would be easiest.

Thanks for the assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
CMEknit CMEknit is offline

Just checked and all the Table Wrapping is turned off, so that's not the
problem. Tis a puzzlement.

"CMEknit" wrote in message
Here's my issue ... I have a document that's a large table. There are
paragraphs that separate some rows of the table from others, but I cannot
figure out why and have been unsuccessful in deleting those paragraph
marks.

I've researched this on this website and have tried all the tips
previously
posted, so now I think my best bet is to copy and paste the sections into
new document unless someone has other tips that will allow me to continue
with the current document as that would be easiest.

Thanks for the assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Make sure none of the rows in the second table is formatted as a heading
row.

http://word.mvps.org

"CMEknit" wrote in message
Here's my issue ... I have a document that's a large table. There are
paragraphs that separate some rows of the table from others, but I
cannot
figure out why and have been unsuccessful in deleting those paragraph
marks.

I've researched this on this website and have tried all the tips
previously
posted, so now I think my best bet is to copy and paste the sections
into
new document unless someone has other tips that will allow me to
continue
with the current document as that would be easiest.

Thanks for the assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
CMEknit CMEknit is offline

None of the rows in the second table are formatted as a heading row. In
fact, the heading rows disappear in the second table.

"CMEknit" wrote in message
Here's my issue ... I have a document that's a large table. There are
paragraphs that separate some rows of the table from others, but I
cannot
figure out why and have been unsuccessful in deleting those paragraph
marks.

I've researched this on this website and have tried all the tips
previously
posted, so now I think my best bet is to copy and paste the sections
into
new document unless someone has other tips that will allow me to
continue
with the current document as that would be easiest.

Thanks for the assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

No, the heading rows won't repeat in the second table because it's not part
of the first table. I assume you don't have Track Changes enabled? If you
did, you'd need to turn it off and accept the changes.

At this point, I have nothing else to suggest. I had a similar situation
once in which there was really just no explanation for why the stupid tables
wouldn't join (in my case, I was able to delete the intervening paragraph,
but the tables still wouldn't become one). If push comes to shove, you may
just have to create new rows in the first table and move or copy the content
of the second table into them. I wish I could be more helpful.

http://word.mvps.org

news

"CMEknit" wrote in message
Here's my issue ... I have a document that's a large table. There
are
paragraphs that separate some rows of the table from others, but I
cannot
figure out why and have been unsuccessful in deleting those
paragraph
marks.

I've researched this on this website and have tried all the tips
previously
posted, so now I think my best bet is to copy and paste the sections
into
new document unless someone has other tips that will allow me to
continue
with the current document as that would be easiest.

Thanks for the assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
CMEknit CMEknit is offline

Thanks so much, Suzanne. I really appreciate your help. It's nice to have
someone else confirm that sometimes things just defy explanation. I'll try
expanding the first table and copying the content there.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, the heading rows won't repeat in the second table because it's not part
of the first table. I assume you don't have Track Changes enabled? If you
did, you'd need to turn it off and accept the changes.

At this point, I have nothing else to suggest. I had a similar situation
once in which there was really just no explanation for why the stupid tables
wouldn't join (in my case, I was able to delete the intervening paragraph,
but the tables still wouldn't become one). If push comes to shove, you may
just have to create new rows in the first table and move or copy the content
of the second table into them. I wish I could be more helpful.

http://word.mvps.org

news

"CMEknit" wrote in message
Here's my issue ... I have a document that's a large table. There
are
paragraphs that separate some rows of the table from others, but I
cannot
figure out why and have been unsuccessful in deleting those
paragraph
marks.

I've researched this on this website and have tried all the tips
previously
posted, so now I think my best bet is to copy and paste the sections
into
new document unless someone has other tips that will allow me to
continue
with the current document as that would be easiest.

Thanks for the assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi CMEknit,

Another issue that can prevent the tables from joining is if their alignment or width differs. So check that they're all aligned
the same (eg left aligned with 0 indent), not formatted with 'preferred width' and that the sum of the column widths is the same.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, the heading rows won't repeat in the second table because it's not part
of the first table. I assume you don't have Track Changes enabled? If you
did, you'd need to turn it off and accept the changes.

At this point, I have nothing else to suggest. I had a similar situation
once in which there was really just no explanation for why the stupid tables
wouldn't join (in my case, I was able to delete the intervening paragraph,
but the tables still wouldn't become one). If push comes to shove, you may
just have to create new rows in the first table and move or copy the content
of the second table into them. I wish I could be more helpful.

http://word.mvps.org

news

joining nan Microsoft Word Help 3 November 29th 07 07:42 AM
Joining more than one table in Word Kathryn Tables 1 November 8th 07 02:47 AM
joining tables Janette Tables 1 September 17th 07 08:10 PM
Link Table to Sections SusaBella Tables 3 September 23rd 06 12:31 AM
When joining tables, table sections shift left or right. JEB01 Tables 1 January 17th 05 07:57 PM