Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Steve Steve is offline

Default Getting Imformation from external files

Hi,
I am making a product catalouge for my company and I would like to be able
to automatically update the price and possibly product desrciption from an
external file, based on an entered product code. There would be a layout
like this, with each part being in a new row, I would like the sections
to be updated from the exteranl file (either .csv, .xls, or .xml).

Part No. XXXXXXXX
Auto Update Description for XXXXXXXX

Price Auto Update Price for XXXXXXXX

Part No. YYYYYYYY
Auto Update Description for YYYYYYYY

Price Auto Update Price for YYYYYYYY

Thanks in advance
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Steve Steve is offline

Thanks Suzanne, but I can't see how this will work. I don't have a very good
understanding of fields, anychance you could give me a bit more direction.

Thanks
Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,
I am making a product catalouge for my company and I would like to be able
to automatically update the price and possibly product desrciption from an
external file, based on an entered product code. There would be a layout
like this, with each part being in a new row, I would like the
sections
to be updated from the exteranl file (either .csv, .xls, or .xml).

Part No. XXXXXXXX
Auto Update Description for XXXXXXXX

Price Auto Update Price for XXXXXXXX

Part No. YYYYYYYY
Auto Update Description for YYYYYYYY

Price Auto Update Price for YYYYYYYY

Thanks in advance
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You create an external document that contains the desired data, bookmarked
appropriately. You insert the IncludeText fields referring to those
bookmarks. When you update the data in the external file, the data in your
document is updated.

Alternatively, you put the data in an Excel file and use a catalog/directory
merge to create the catalog.

news

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,
I am making a product catalouge for my company and I would like to be
able
to automatically update the price and possibly product desrciption from
an
external file, based on an entered product code. There would be a
layout
like this, with each part being in a new row, I would like the
sections
to be updated from the exteranl file (either .csv, .xls, or .xml).

Part No. XXXXXXXX
Auto Update Description for XXXXXXXX

Price Auto Update Price for XXXXXXXX

Part No. YYYYYYYY
Auto Update Description for YYYYYYYY

Price Auto Update Price for YYYYYYYY

Thanks in advance
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Why don't you use a Directory type mail merge?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,
I am making a product catalouge for my company and I would like to be able
to automatically update the price and possibly product desrciption from an
external file, based on an entered product code. There would be a layout
like this, with each part being in a new row, I would like the
sections
to be updated from the exteranl file (either .csv, .xls, or .xml).

Part No. XXXXXXXX
Auto Update Description for XXXXXXXX

Price Auto Update Price for XXXXXXXX

Part No. YYYYYYYY
Auto Update Description for YYYYYYYY

Price Auto Update Price for YYYYYYYY

Thanks in advance
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Steve Steve is offline

Thanks for the replies. I don't think the directory mail merge will do what
I need. The exteranl file contains more information than is required and is
not divided into the correct sections. I really need something that will
search the exteranl file for a part no and get the associated information.
The include text field may work, I will do some more reading.

Thanks
Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,
I am making a product catalouge for my company and I would like to be able
to automatically update the price and possibly product desrciption from an
external file, based on an entered product code. There would be a layout
like this, with each part being in a new row, I would like the
sections
to be updated from the exteranl file (either .csv, .xls, or .xml).

Part No. XXXXXXXX
Auto Update Description for XXXXXXXX

Price Auto Update Price for XXXXXXXX

Part No. YYYYYYYY
Auto Update Description for YYYYYYYY

Price Auto Update Price for YYYYYYYY

Thanks in advance
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Steve Steve is offline

Hi Doug,
The exteranl file contains data like this:

StockCode,Description,SellingPrice
AF-070-083,Cultiva ATC Power Cable,193
AF-110-0007-01,A5 Rover DUO,29750
AF-110-0007-03,A5 Rover DUO,0
AF-110-0009-01,A5 Rover QUAD,34750

That is the .csv file any way, the XML looks like this:

FormattedReportObjects
FormattedReportObject xsi:type="CTFormattedField" Type="xsd:string"
FieldName="{InvMaster.StockCode}"ObjectNameStoc kCode1/ObjectName
FormattedValueAF-070-083/FormattedValue
ValueAF-070-083/Value
/FormattedReportObject
FormattedReportObject xsi:type="CTFormattedField" Type="xsd:string"
FieldName="{InvMaster.Description}"ObjectNameDe scription1/ObjectName
FormattedValueCultiva ATC Power Cable/FormattedValue
ValueCultiva ATC Power Cable/Value
/FormattedReportObject
FormattedReportObject xsi:type="CTFormattedField" Type="xsd:string"
FieldName="{InvMaster.Supplier}"ObjectNameSuppl ier1/ObjectName
FormattedValueNOVA001/FormattedValue
ValueNOVA001/Value
/FormattedReportObject
FormattedReportObject xsi:type="CTFormattedField" Type="xsd:float"
FieldName="{InvMaster.MaterialCost}"ObjectNameM aterialCost1/ObjectName
FormattedValue84.18/FormattedValue
Value84.18/Value
/FormattedReportObject
FormattedReportObject xsi:type="CTFormattedField" Type="xsd:float"
FieldName="{InvPrice.SellingPrice}"ObjectNameSe llingPrice1/ObjectName
FormattedValue193.00/FormattedValue
Value193.00/Value
/FormattedReportObject
/FormattedReportObjects

with a few higher level objects ommited.

Thanks
Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,
I am making a product catalouge for my company and I would like to be
able
to automatically update the price and possibly product desrciption from
an
external file, based on an entered product code. There would be a
layout
like this, with each part being in a new row, I would like the
sections
to be updated from the exteranl file (either .csv, .xls, or .xml).

Part No. XXXXXXXX
Auto Update Description for XXXXXXXX

Price Auto Update Price for XXXXXXXX

Part No. YYYYYYYY
Auto Update Description for YYYYYYYY

Price Auto Update Price for YYYYYYYY

Thanks in advance
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you use a Directory type mail merge main document in which you insert

Part No. StockCode¶
Description¶
Price Selling Price¶

When you execute that merge to a new document, you will get

Part No. AF-070-083
Cultiva ATC Power Cable
Price 193

Part No. AF-110-0007-01
A5 Rover DUO
Price 29750

Part No. AF-110-0007-03
A5 Rover DUO
Price 0

Part No. AF-110-0009-01
A5 Rover QUAD
Price 34750

--

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Steve Steve is offline

Hi Doug,
My only concern with that is that file doesn't contain the parts in the
order I require. For instance AF-110-0007-01 occours before AF-070-083 and
in a different section of the catalouge. I need a way to maintain the
formatting I already have and change the prices and descriptions for the part
numbers already entered.

Thanks
Steve

¶

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

In that case, you are going to have to either:

1. Insert the description and price by copying each one in turn, the
using PasteSpecial and paste as a Link so that it will be updated.

2. Use VBA to iterate through the source, setting the value of document
variables in the catalog and have the values displayed by means of {
DOCVARIABLE varname } fields in the catalog with those fields being updated
by the VBA code so that any changes in the source file are reflected in the
document.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Why don't you use a Directory type mail merge?

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my