Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Phil_from_Oz Phil_from_Oz is offline

Default Option to specify header row greyed out in Sort Table

I have previously sorted this table using the column names in the header row.
However now when I attempt to sort the table, the option (in the Table - Sort
pop-up) to specify that "My list has header row / no header row" is greyed
out.
Why has this happened and what do I need to do to ungrey it?
I'm using Office Word 2003.
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Engin Tarhan Engin Tarhan is offline

Hi Phil,

Select the whole table or only one cell in the table you're going to
sort, not the whole header row. I'm using OFC2002 and it seems to make
strange decisions according to the number and direction if you select
multiple cells.

Good luck,
Engin Tarhan

"Phil_from_Oz" wrote in message
I have previously sorted this table using the column names in the header
row.
However now when I attempt to sort the table, the option (in the Table -
Sort
pop-up) to specify that "My list has header row / no header row" is
greyed
out.
Why has this happened and what do I need to do to ungrey it?
I'm using Office Word 2003.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Phil_from_Oz[_2_] Phil_from_Oz[_2_] is offline

Thanks Engin. A work around was to select all of the table except the heading
row, then specify which columns to sort on using "Column 1", "Column 3" etc
(or they are called Field 1, Field 3 etc if Heading Rows Repeat is off). When
selecting sort, the "My list has . . ." part was NOT greyed out. BUT 1. I
used to be able to sort this table using the column descriptions in the
header row, 2. for some reason I now can't.
More information: When I saved the document with another name, accepted all
changes in document (having been tracking changes), then tried to sort the
table, the column descriptions in the header row now DO appear in the "sort
by" fields. However, the "My list has . . ." part is still greyed out. So
still a problem, plus as the original document is in review mode so I can't
accept all changes.