Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
HUTCH HUTCH is offline

Default Mail Merge info into a table

I have a spreadsheet where each unique person has a handful of records
listing some classes they are teaching. I would like to present those
classes in the body of a letter in row format. Is there a way to do so and
include only to rows for each unique person and when the next set of rows for
a new person starts it knows to produce a second letter? For example, letter
would look like:

Dear Person AA:

You will be teaching the following classes this semester:

MIS68900A
MIS67900B
MIS6890A

Thank you for agreeing to teach.

***then the mail merge would kick off a letter for a second person

Dear Person BB:

You will be teaching the following classes....

HST6777C
HST5567D
HST7896A

Thank you for teaching these classes this semester.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Word doesn't do this "out of the box". I quote from macropod's post
earlier today:

"check out my Word 97-2007 Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge Tutorial at:
http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showtopic=731107
or
http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/Catalogue%20Mailmerge.zip
Do read the tutorial before trying to use the mailmerge document
included with it."

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Hutch wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Guy Lydig Guy Lydig is offline

Hutch,

I don't know which versions of Excel and Word you are using nor how your
"records" for each "unique" person are arranged. If they look like this in
Excel:
A B C D E
1 Name Class1 Class2 Class3 Class4
2 aa Hist
Sci
Math
3 bb Geog
French
Civics
4 cc Acctng
Comp
Art

you can try this:
In cell C2:E2 (assuming no one has more than 4 subjects--expand as
necessary) type:
C2: =IF(ISBLANK(A3),IF(ISBLANK(B3),"",B3),"")
D2: =IF(ISBLANK(A4),IF(ISBLANK(B4),"",B4),"")
E2: =IF(ISBLANK(A5),IF(ISBLANK(B5),"",B5),"")

Select all 3 and drag the Fill Handle down as far as you have info.

In Word, when you do the Mail Merge, filter the recipient list to use only
those where the Name column is NONBLANKS.

Hutch wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Guy Lydig Guy Lydig is offline

Sorry. The row numbers should have been as written below instead of as
written in the previous post.

"Guy Lydig" wrote:

Hutch,

I don't know which versions of Excel and Word you are using nor how your
"records" for each "unique" person are arranged. If they look like this in
Excel:
A B C D E
1 Name Class1 Class2 Class3 Class4
2 aa Hist
3 Sci
4 Math
5 bb Geog
6 French
7 Civics
8 cc Acctng
9 Comp
10 Art

Hutch wrote:
[...]

Mail Merge with Info on different lines. richge Mailmerge 2 October 9th 08 08:15 AM
Mail Merge won't show recipient info on labels Latonac Mailmerge 1 August 24th 06 06:18 PM
print out a list of info in mail merge? Margie Microsoft Word Help 3 June 26th 06 04:12 AM
merge info into table Cyrus Tables 8 March 23rd 06 03:44 AM
How do I merge info into a table (several pages long)? COZWO Tables 2 July 2nd 05 08:19 AM