Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
AID AID is offline

Default Getting contacts from Outlook for Mailmerge

I have just changed computers, and downloaded all of my contacts and contact
sub folders into the new computer, and they show up fine in Outlook. However,
I just tried to do a Mailmerge and retrieve contacts from my sub folders, and
they do not appear anywhere. Any suggestions, Thanks, Ian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook][_2_] Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook][_2_] is offline

Whenever you migrate your Contacts, you'll need to configure the Outlook
Address Book Service to include them before they'll be available to Word.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...Product=ol2002
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"AID" wrote in message
I have just changed computers, and downloaded all of my contacts and
contact
sub folders into the new computer, and they show up fine in Outlook.
However,
I just tried to do a Mailmerge and retrieve contacts from my sub folders,
and
they do not appear anywhere. Any suggestions, Thanks, Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook][_2_] Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook][_2_] is offline

Then you'll need to provide a bit more information. Exactly how did you
"download" these Contacts? The transfer process is critical and easy to do
incorrectly. What Outlook version? When you say it didn't work, exactly what
did you try and happened?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

"AID" wrote in message
I have just changed computers, and downloaded all of my contacts and
contact
sub folders into the new computer, and they show up fine in Outlook.
However,
I just tried to do a Mailmerge and retrieve contacts from my sub
folders,
and
they do not appear anywhere. Any suggestions, Thanks, Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
AID AID is offline

Thanks gain Russ,

I transferred the contacts through the .pst copy file, as I still have my
old hard drive in the computer. When I use the mailmerge function in Word,
both 2003, I get the message that my Contacts Personal Folders is only
available, when I ask to select from Outlook contacts. It does not show any
of my subfolders where I have many of my contatcs. It worked perfectly with
my old system. I hope this helps. Thanks Ian

"AID" wrote in message
I have just changed computers, and downloaded all of my contacts and
contact
sub folders into the new computer, and they show up fine in Outlook.
However,
I just tried to do a Mailmerge and retrieve contacts from my sub
folders,
and
they do not appear anywhere. Any suggestions, Thanks, Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook][_2_] Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook][_2_] is offline

I have no idea what "through the .pst copy file" means. Unfortunately, there
is simply no utility that can transfer Outlook data properly. Windows Easy
Transfer can't do it. Outlook's backup utility can't do it. I suspect that
is where your problem lies. You must transfer your data correctly yourself
and connect it to your Outlook profile before Word will be able to access
it. Here are some sites that explain how to do so:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm

The message suggests that the Outlook Address Book Service can see only the
new empty data file that your new Outlook profile created but not the data
file you attempted to transfer.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

"AID" wrote in message
I have just changed computers, and downloaded all of my contacts and
contact
sub folders into the new computer, and they show up fine in Outlook.
However,
I just tried to do a Mailmerge and retrieve contacts from my sub
folders,
and
they do not appear anywhere. Any suggestions, Thanks, Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I don't know if Russ's second batch of links covers another old problem,
but there used to be a problem to do with the sequence that Services
were added to your Outlook profile - you had to add the Outlook Address
Book Service first (or at least, earlier in the sequence). I do not know
if this is relevant to Outlook 2003 but the relevant KB article for
earlier versions is at

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/200134

(I am away for a few days so will not be able to purse this).

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk