Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dick Dick is offline

Default Envelopes & Labels question

I am running Vista 32bit Home Premium and I am running Word 2000 (I know,
it's old but it works) and Outlook 2000 (just for the address book). I use
Windows Mail for all my email needs.

My problem is when I press the little address book icon in the
Tools-Envelopes & Labels area, no addresses show up. I currently have
about 100 names, addresses and telephone numbers in Outlook. I assume that
it has to do with Vista and looking in the wrong place. Under XP this
worked just fine.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance...

Dick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Were you using Outlook under XP? I'd guess that Word is trying to find the
address book in the email client - which you have set as Win Mail, so it
cannot find it. Try changing the default mail client setting under Internet
Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Programs Tab to see if that lets Word
find the address book.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Dick" wrote in message
Anyone?.... Wrong forum?...

Dick

"Dick" wrote in message
I am running Vista 32bit Home Premium and I am running Word 2000 (I know,
it's old but it works) and Outlook 2000 (just for the address book). I
use Windows Mail for all my email needs.

My problem is when I press the little address book icon in the
Tools-Envelopes & Labels area, no addresses show up. I currently have
about 100 names, addresses and telephone numbers in Outlook. I assume
that it has to do with Vista and looking in the wrong place. Under XP
this worked just fine.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance...

Dick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Were you using Outlook under XP? I'd guess that Word is trying to find the
address book in the email client - which you have set as Win Mail, so it
cannot find it. Try changing the default mail client setting under
Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Programs Tab to see if that
lets Word find the address book.

This is one of the astonishing things I find with Microsoft Office - Word
will ONLY use the Contact details from Outlook. I don't think you can even
set an Excel file or Access database as the address source. Seems VERY
short-sighted to me, particularly when Open Office will use ANY source you
set - Outlook, Thunderbird, Excel, Access, etc etc etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

This is frustrating to me as well, since I don't use Outlook. But I'm not
sure I'd use it as an address book even if I did. What Word will do is use
the OE address book for emails.

http://word.mvps.org

"Gordon" wrote in message

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Were you using Outlook under XP? I'd guess that Word is trying to find
the address book in the email client - which you have set as Win Mail, so
it cannot find it. Try changing the default mail client setting under
Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Programs Tab to see if that
lets Word find the address book.

This is one of the astonishing things I find with Microsoft Office - Word
will ONLY use the Contact details from Outlook. I don't think you can even
set an Excel file or Access database as the address source. Seems VERY
short-sighted to me, particularly when Open Office will use ANY source you
set - Outlook, Thunderbird, Excel, Access, etc etc etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
This is frustrating to me as well, since I don't use Outlook. But I'm not
sure I'd use it as an address book even if I did. What Word will do is use
the OE address book for emails.

Thanks for the info - I didn't know it would use the OE addressbook...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dick Dick is offline

My problem is that I just happen to use Outlook 2000 for an address book.
I'm actually using WinMail for the mail client. I know Word is looking
someplace else, but I can't figure out where.

If I knew where Word was looking, I'd make sure that I had a copy of the
address book located there.

Dick