Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve Steve is offline

Default Floating toolbar

Recently upgraded from Word 2000
to Word 2007.

I write novels and I like to save my document after every little change I
make. So even if I go and add a comma somewhere it is my habit to click the
Save Button immediately afterwards.

I used to be able to put a floating toolbar with a Save button just to the
right of my text so that I didn't have to move my attention (and the cursor)
up to the toolbar default Save button.

Is there anything comperable available in 2007?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Ctrl + S will work.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Steve" wrote in message
Recently upgraded from Word 2000
to Word 2007.

I write novels and I like to save my document after every little change I
make. So even if I go and add a comma somewhere it is my habit to click
the
Save Button immediately afterwards.

I used to be able to put a floating toolbar with a Save button just to the
right of my text so that I didn't have to move my attention (and the
cursor)
up to the toolbar default Save button.

Is there anything comperable available in 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I swap the default shortcuts assigned to Save and SaveAs so that Save is
just F12 (and SaveAs is Shift+F12). Just a single key click is far, far
easier than using the mouse and marginally easier that Ctrl+S.

I never did understand why Save and SaveAs were assigned shortcuts that way
around, because if you open a new document and execute a simple Save, it
opens the SaveAs dialog anyway because you have to assign a name. So a
single click F12 to Save makes much more sense.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Steve" wrote in message
Recently upgraded from Word 2000
to Word 2007.

I write novels and I like to save my document after every little change I
make. So even if I go and add a comma somewhere it is my habit to click
the
Save Button immediately afterwards.

I used to be able to put a floating toolbar with a Save button just to the
right of my text so that I didn't have to move my attention (and the
cursor)
up to the toolbar default Save button.

Is there anything comperable available in 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

De gustibus non est disputandum and all that, but I would never consider
reaching way up to the top of the keyboard and stabbing for F12 easier than
pressing Ctrl+S with (most of) my fingers on the home row!

http://word.mvps.org

news

"Steve" wrote in message
Recently upgraded from Word 2000
to Word 2007.

I write novels and I like to save my document after every little change I
make. So even if I go and add a comma somewhere it is my habit to click
the
Save Button immediately afterwards.

I used to be able to put a floating toolbar with a Save button just to
the
right of my text so that I didn't have to move my attention (and the
cursor)
up to the toolbar default Save button.

Is there anything comperable available in 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rojo Habe[_2_] Rojo Habe[_2_] is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
news

I never did understand why Save and SaveAs were assigned shortcuts that
way around, because if you open a new document and execute a simple Save,
it opens the SaveAs dialog anyway because you have to assign a name. So a
single click F12 to Save makes much more sense.

I think it's designed that way to make it slightly harder to overwrite a
document by accident. If you accidentally hit the F12 key you're presented
with a dialog which you can just cancel. It's far more unlikely (although
not impossible, I'll admit) that you'll accidentally hit S or F12 whilst
simultaneously holding down the Shift key.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve Steve is offline

May I take it, then, that there is no way of getting a floating toolbar in
the 2007 version?

I sure miss that.

I had a couple of other handy buttons on the toolbar, also.