Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CWLee CWLee is offline

Default Change Word's Opening Default?

When Word 2000 is opened a document based on the normal.dot
template is there. It can then be closed, leaving the Word
toolbars at the top. Is it possible to change the default,
so that word either opens with a different template, or with
nothing at all?

Thanks.

--
----------
CWLee

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

A simple approach is to drop a link to the document template on to the
desktop and click that.
Also check Word Help for 'starting Word' which will give you a list of
startup switches to the Word command line e.g. /n will start the application
with no document open and /ttemplatename will open word with a new document
based on the template called 'templatename'
I think both of these were available in Word 2000.

CWLee wrote:
When Word 2000 is opened a document based on the normal.dot
template is there. It can then be closed, leaving the Word
toolbars at the top. Is it possible to change the default,
so that word either opens with a different template, or with
nothing at all?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

As per Graham's answer. But I believe the easiest way is to simply open
Windows Explorer so that you can still see the desktop. Then find the
template and drag a copy and drop it on the desktop. The default action of
double-clicking a template on the desktop is to open a new document based on
the template. You can, of course, drag it onto the Taskbar too.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"CWLee" wrote in message

When Word 2000 is opened a document based on the normal.dot template is
there. It can then be closed, leaving the Word toolbars at the top. Is
it possible to change the default, so that word either opens with a
different template, or with nothing at all?

Thanks.

--
----------
CWLee
Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and
promote for performance, not preferences.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CWLee CWLee is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Also check Word Help for 'starting Word' which will give
you a list of startup switches to the Word command line
e.g. /n will start the application with no document open
and /ttemplatename will open word with a new document
based on the template called 'templatename'

Following the suggestion above, I went to Word help under
"staring word" and found instructions to do what I want to
do, but one of the steps indicates that after opening
"properties" I should see either a "TARGET box" or a
"COMMAND LINE box" and I see neither. Under properties
there are 5 tabs: Genera, Summary, Statistics, Contents,
and Custom. Where might I find either the Target Box or the
Command Line box?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Graham was referring to the properties of the desktop shortcut, not the
template.

http://word.mvps.org