Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Octavio[_2_] Octavio[_2_] is offline

Default Extension .docx question

I have been noticing what appear that the new Word documents that I create
with my Word 2007 have the .docx extension with the x, and this is versus
that the old documents in my computer only have the .doc extension.

Are all the new Word documents will have now the .docx extension, with the
"x" indicating that the file is in the new 2007 format?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Matthew[_5_] Matthew[_5_] is offline

Yes, well basically, it tells you it is in the new xml format so from word
2007 and it will not open in older versions of word, there are functions in
the office button to save as older documents

"Octavio" wrote in message
I have been noticing what appear that the new Word documents that I create
with my Word 2007 have the .docx extension with the x, and this is versus
that the old documents in my computer only have the .doc extension.

Are all the new Word documents will have now the .docx extension, with the
"x" indicating that the file is in the new 2007 format?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Octavio wrote:
I have been noticing what appear that the new Word documents that I
create with my Word 2007 have the .docx extension with the x, and
this is versus that the old documents in my computer only have the
.doc extension.
Are all the new Word documents will have now the .docx extension,
with the "x" indicating that the file is in the new 2007 format?

To expand a bit on what Matthew said:

1. Yes, documents with a .docx extension are in the new 2007 format. There
is also a .docm extension for documents that may contain macros; and there
are .dotx and .dotm extensions for templates without/with macros.

2. Word 2007 can also save any document, new or old, in the .doc format.
Click the Office button and hover over Save As, then click the "Word 97-2003
Document" choice; or just open the Save As dialog and change the "Save as
type" dropdown.

3. If you often need to share documents with others who may not have Office
2007, you can set the default type to the .doc format: Go to Office button
Word Options Save and change the choice in the "Save files in this format"
box. After that, you would have to use the Save As menu or dialog to save in
..docx format when you want that.

4. Users of Word versions from 2000 to 2003 can download a free
Compatibility Pack to let them read and edit .docx documents, although they
won't have access to features such as SmartArt or Content Controls that are
new in 2007.

5. If you open a .doc file in Word 2007, the title bar will say
"Compatibility Mode" and the new features won't be available. You can change
the document to 2007 format by clicking Office button Convert (which
exists only if the current document is in compatibility mode) and then
saving in .docx format.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

The 5th point isn't entirly true.

You can use the bibliography feature in compatibility mode. However, the
result is inserted as static text, rather than fields and can therefore not
be updated automatically. The sources used to generate the
citations/bibliography are still stored with your document though. So you
can edit/extend them at a later time and generate a new bibliography.

Although you can't add new equations (the button is grayed out), you can
paste MathML and OMML equations into your document. They will be displayed
as images. If at a later time you decide to convert the document to the new
2007 format, the image will be replaced with an equation which you can
easily edit.

Yves

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Octavio wrote:
[...]