Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BruceM via OfficeKB.com BruceM via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Garbled links

I have posted this question in the past, but have received no response, so I
will try rephrasing and reducing to the basics.

When I insert a link to a location on the LAN, the link is garbled when I
insert the link by navigating to a file that is on the same drive (or share)
as the current document. For instance, if I navigate to the following:

\\ServerName\ShareName\FolderName\File Name

the link address that appears in the Insert Link dialog box is along the
lines of:

..\..\File Name

After closing and reopening the dialog box, the address is like this:
../../File%20Name

When I hover the mouse over the link it shows as acorrect address:
file:///\\ServerName etc.,

However, if I move or copy the document to My Documents, hovering the mouse
shows it as something like:
file:///C:\Documents and settings\UserName\FolderName\File Name

The html version of the link (with the front slashes and %20 for spaces)
seems to be replacing the part of the address that corresponds to the current
location with the dots and slashes. In another location, the current
location is substituted for the dots and slashes. For instance, if I am in:

\\ServerName\ShareName\FolderName

and I link to this document

\\ServerName\ShareName\FolderName\SubfolderName\Fi le Name the address that
appears while the dialog box is still open is:

..\..\SubfolderName\File Name

Thsi is where I am when doing this:
\\ServerName\ShareName\FolderName
so that part of the address is dropped

This then gets transposed into html after closing the dialog box.

When I move the file to My Documents, hovering the mouse shows:

file:///C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\FolderName\File Name

The part of the address that was dropped is replaced with the current path,
up to but not including the folder in which the file is now located.

The problem occurs only when I navigate to a link. If I type it in or copy
it from another location where it is in the correct syntax, it is OK.

I have Word 2003 SP3 and Windows XP.

This has been a problem only since my computer was reconfigured recently, so
it seems to be a problem that can be avoided, but I can't find the necessary
setting. Other users in the office have the same problem, so it appears not
to be specific to my computer.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

That looks like standard path truncation when it is too long to display in
the box. The actual path hasn't changed, it just cannot be displayed in
full.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"BruceM via OfficeKB.com" u54429@uwe wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BruceM via OfficeKB.com BruceM via OfficeKB.com is offline

It only happens when browsing to the link, and in that case the path *has*
been changed to where the path to the current folder is replaced with a
series of dots and slashes (two dots and a backslash, repeated several times).
In another folder the path to *that* folder is used instead of the dots and
slashes, which of course means the hyperlink does not work, as it is supposed
to point to a different folder. If I type the link all is well (no
truncation or other creativity). Also, this is new behavior. Another thing
is that it translates the link into what seems to be html. The links are in
the range of about 100-150 characters in length.

Terry Farrell wrote:
That looks like standard path truncation when it is too long to display in
the box. The actual path hasn't changed, it just cannot be displayed in
full.

I have posted this question in the past, but have received no response, so

[quoted text clipped - 66 lines]