Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

Default Typing Different Alphabets

Is there anyway to set up a character style such that it will use a
different alphabet?

For example, I would like to have a Greek Character style using Time
New Roman that, when typing an "S" produces a sigma, rather than
having to does INSERT CHARACTER repeatedly.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Setup the Greek language and keyboard in Windows. Use the keyboard shortcut
(normally LEFT ALT + SHIFT) to switch keyboards when entering Greek. If you
need a reminder of the Greek key mappings, use the onscreen keyboard from
the accessibility tools.

wrote:
Is there anyway to set up a character style such that it will use a
different alphabet?

For example, I would like to have a Greek Character style using Time
New Roman that, when typing an "S" produces a sigma, rather than
having to does INSERT CHARACTER repeatedly.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Sep 20, 1:19*am, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
Setup the Greek language and keyboard in Windows. Use the keyboard shortcut
(normally LEFT ALT + SHIFT) to switch keyboards when entering Greek. If you
need a reminder of the Greek key mappings, use the onscreen keyboard from
the accessibility tools.

What would be the starting point for setting up other languages
alongside english?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

Similar problem here.....

Some of my fonts have small capitals. Is there any way to access the
small capitals using the keyboard, rather than Insert Character?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Create a character style with the small caps attribute set and apply it to
text typed normally. The lower case characters will be set as small caps.

wrote:
Similar problem here.....

Some of my fonts have small capitals. Is there any way to access the
small capitals using the keyboard, rather than Insert Character?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Small Caps is a font attribute and it can be toggled on/off just like
italics, bold or underlines. The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+K: just select
the text and execute Ctrl+K.

But if you use this more than just the odd occasion, then follow Graham's
recommendation and create a style for it.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message
Similar problem here.....

Some of my fonts have small capitals. Is there any way to access the
small capitals using the keyboard, rather than Insert Character?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You are both missing the point. The Small Caps property in Word just applies
All Caps at a smaller font size, and the small caps are not proportional to
the true capitals. Fonts that include true small caps may have them in
different Unicode positions from the normal alphabet, but the ones I have
have them in place of the lowercase characters. It is thus necessary to
apply the Small Caps font instead of the Small Caps property of the parent
font. For example, I have an Adobe font called Old Style 7, along with Old
Style 7 SC. When I want small caps in that font, I have to type in ordinary
C&lc and apply the Old Style 7 SC font.

If this were the case, then one could create a character style for that font
and assign a keyboard shortcut (even Ctrl+Shift+K if desired).

BTW, the keyboard shortcut for small caps is Ctrl+Shift+K; Ctrl+K is Insert
Hyperlink. It is possible that, like me, you have swapped them because you
use small caps more often than you insert hyperlinks.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
Similar problem here.....

Some of my fonts have small capitals. Is there any way to access the
small capitals using the keyboard, rather than Insert Character?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I see what you mean. There is a huge difference between a 'real' small caps
font set and simply applying the small caps attribute.

Terry