Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
snoopydog4477 snoopydog4477 is offline

Default how do I set up a data base file in word 2002?

I used to have small databases in Word 2000 but having updated cannot find
how to set up a new database. I can still merge my old databases.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Mailmerge in Word 2002 and later sets up Access/Jet .mdb databases by
default.

But you can still create perfectly usable data sources using Word alone.
You can either...
a. create a word document that contains a single table. The top row
should contain the field names and each subsequent row contains a single
record. Or, especially if you have more columns than a Word table can
contain...
b. create a word document that contains "delimited" records, e.g.
where a tab character is used to separate each field, and a paragraph
mark separates each record. Again, the top row should contain the field
names.

AFAICR Word 2002 could be rather slow when using Word documents as data
sources, but have a go with that approach and see if it works for you.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk