Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ta.To Ta.To is offline

Default I want to write my thesis?

I want to write my thesis using MS office (word) 2007, so what I plan to do is:
- write each chapter in a separet word file (e.g. chapter1.doc,
chapter2.doc, summary.doc, ...etc.).
- then, I want to make a main file (call it main.doc).
- in the main file I want to link to each of the other files.
* up to here I succeeded to do that.

Now:
- I want to make table of contents in main.doc which then read automatically
the titles and sub titles in each of the separet files (when I update the
filed).
- and the same for the refrences.
* I do not know how to do that, or if it is possible or not.

many thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Em Em is offline

The good thing about Word is that it is extremely user friendly unless you
try to create something you should not be. Try the help tool and go to
google, and type in "word tutorials". Asking how to do something without
taking the appropriate channels will not help you remember the next time you
try to create, or change files; which is something I wouldn't recommend you
do.

"Ta.To" wrote:

I want to write my thesis using MS office (word) 2007, so what I plan to do is:
- write each chapter in a separet word file (e.g. chapter1.doc,
chapter2.doc, summary.doc, ...etc.).
- then, I want to make a main file (call it main.doc).
- in the main file I want to link to each of the other files.
* up to here I succeeded to do that.

Now:
- I want to make table of contents in main.doc which then read automatically
the titles and sub titles in each of the separet files (when I update the
filed).
- and the same for the refrences.
* I do not know how to do that, or if it is possible or not.

many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See €śCreating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents€ť

Note that it will not be hyperlinked. Note also that Word can easily handle
the entire thesis as a single document, and you will find this MUCH simpler
in the long run.

http://word.mvps.org

"Ta.To" wrote in message
I want to write my thesis using MS office (word) 2007, so what I plan to do
is:
- write each chapter in a separet word file (e.g. chapter1.doc,
chapter2.doc, summary.doc, ...etc.).
- then, I want to make a main file (call it main.doc).
- in the main file I want to link to each of the other files.
* up to here I succeeded to do that.

Now:
- I want to make table of contents in main.doc which then read
automatically
the titles and sub titles in each of the separet files (when I update the
filed).
- and the same for the refrences.
* I do not know how to do that, or if it is possible or not.

many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JRR JRR is offline

Hello Ta.

To the best of my knowledge this is functionality that Word simply doesn't
support. Although, maybe there is a macro or add-on that allows this to be
done.

I used the FrameMaker product line for a very long time and this was basic
functionality supported by FM. But Word doesn't, and it looks like MS don't
see such functionality as a valuable addition.

This isn't a matter of something you shouldn't do, but rather a limitation
with the Word product that won't let you do it. So if you choose to use word,
you'll have to find another way to structure your document.

Sorry,

-=John

thesis thesisgirl Page Layout 3 May 14th 08 01:40 PM
thesis document Nicki Griffin Microsoft Word Help 1 October 9th 07 07:54 PM
What is a thesis sentence? ms. jackson Microsoft Word Help 5 November 19th 06 09:14 PM
Most Word compatible software to write an APA style thesis? APAwriter Microsoft Word Help 0 October 14th 06 10:58 PM
writing a thesis Khoshravan Microsoft Word Help 2 July 2nd 06 02:28 AM