Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bvicari bvicari is offline

Default My list stops when I hit enter

I have created a new multilevel list in Microsoft Word in order to properly
connect my formatted styles with specific bullet point levels, something
which I can't seem to accomplish using bullet points. But unlike bullet
points, when I'm making a list and I hit enter, the list stops and I have to
manually turn on the list again. This is incredibly frustrating and, quite
frankly, non-sensical, so I'd appreciate any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Go to the Modify Style dialog for this particular style and change the "Style
for following paragraph" to the same style.
You don't mention the version of Word you are using, so finding this dialog
will differ depending on the version.

Hope this helps
DeanH

"bvicari" wrote:

I have created a new multilevel list in Microsoft Word in order to properly
connect my formatted styles with specific bullet point levels, something
which I can't seem to accomplish using bullet points. But unlike bullet
points, when I'm making a list and I hit enter, the list stops and I have to
manually turn on the list again. This is incredibly frustrating and, quite
frankly, non-sensical, so I'd appreciate any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To expand on what Dean has said, if you are creating an outline using the
built-in heading styles, the "Style for following paragraph" of all heading
styles is set to Normal. This is the style you will get when you press Enter
at the end of a heading in any view but Outline view; in that view you will
get another paragraph in the same style. If you don't intend to have any
body text in your outline, then change the following style to the same style
or (if preferred) the lower-level style.

If you are building an outline based on heading styles, please also note
that all heading styles are formatted as "Keep with next," which will cause
pagination problems as each paragraph chases the following ones. You need to
remove this property from the lower-level styles, say Heading 3 and beyond
(depending on the number of items you have at any given level).

http://word.mvps.org

"bvicari" wrote:

I have created a new multilevel list in Microsoft Word in order to
properly
connect my formatted styles with specific bullet point levels, something
which I can't seem to accomplish using bullet points. But unlike bullet
points, when I'm making a list and I hit enter, the list stops and I have
manually turn on the list again. This is incredibly frustrating and,
quite
frankly, non-sensical, so I'd appreciate any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bvicari bvicari is offline

I'm sorry, I thought I was going to receive an email when someone replied!
Thank you for your help. I'm using Word 2007 and couldn't find "Style for
following paragraph" anywhere in the List editor.

"bvicari" wrote:

I have created a new multilevel list in Microsoft Word in order to
properly
connect my formatted styles with specific bullet point levels, something
which I can't seem to accomplish using bullet points. But unlike bullet
points, when I'm making a list and I hit enter, the list stops and I have
manually turn on the list again. This is incredibly frustrating and,
quite
frankly, non-sensical, so I'd appreciate any help.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bvicari bvicari is offline

Never mind! I should have read more carefully. It's in the styles editor,
not the list editor. The style (and thus the list level linked to it) for
following paragraph can only be changed by modifying the style, for those who
encounter the same problem. This is an incredibly unintuitive system; hope
they tighten up the list editor in the next version.

But thank you for your help; I am very finicky about how I format my lists
(Word defaults waste way too much space) so this will save me a great deal of
time and anguish in the future.