Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
weekend weekend is offline

Default default font

how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word? Can't seem to find
where to do it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What version of Word? See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm for Word
2003 and earlier. For Word 2007, you should change the document (or
template) defaults in the Manage Styles dialog.

http://word.mvps.org

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word? Can't seem to
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In that case you're best advised to change the font on the Set Defaults tab
of the Manage Styles dialog, which is accessed via a button in the lower
right corner of the Styles window/pane. You can set the defaults for a given
document or for all new documents based on the given template.

http://word.mvps.org

"weekend" wrote in message
2007. part of Office 2007

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word? Can't seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
weekend weekend is offline

thanks. that worked for the font, but I'm still stuck with the original
default font size 11. is there any way to change that as well?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In that case you're best advised to change the font on the Set Defaults tab
of the Manage Styles dialog, which is accessed via a button in the lower
right corner of the Styles window/pane. You can set the defaults for a given
document or for all new documents based on the given template.

http://word.mvps.org

"weekend" wrote in message
2007. part of Office 2007

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word? Can't seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There is a box for font size on the Set Defaults tab as well.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In that case you're best advised to change the font on the Set Defaults
tab
of the Manage Styles dialog, which is accessed via a button in the lower
right corner of the Styles window/pane. You can set the defaults for a
given
document or for all new documents based on the given template.

http://word.mvps.org

"weekend" wrote in message
2007. part of Office 2007

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word? Can't
seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
weekend weekend is offline

Sorry, but I don't find a font size box in the "Change Styles" section. When
you click on that, you get 3 options: Style Set, Colors and Fonts. When you
choose Fonts, you get a set of paired fonts, with 12 pts for Headings and 11
for Body, but that's it. No point options, so if you don't like what they
give you, you have to set the point size you want each time. BTW, I'm on XP
professional, in case that affects anything with Word 2007, although I don't
see why it should.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In that case you're best advised to change the font on the Set Defaults
tab
of the Manage Styles dialog, which is accessed via a button in the lower
right corner of the Styles window/pane. You can set the defaults for a
given
document or for all new documents based on the given template.

http://word.mvps.org

"weekend" wrote in message
2007. part of Office 2007

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word? Can't
seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You are clearly not on the Set Defaults tab of the Manage Styles dialog,
which is what I am describing. Open this dialog by clicking the Manage Style
button in the bottom left corner of the Styles pane. Open the Style pane by
clicking the dialog launcher in the bottom right corner of the Styles group
on the Home tab.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In that case you're best advised to change the font on the Set
Defaults
tab
of the Manage Styles dialog, which is accessed via a button in the
lower
right corner of the Styles window/pane. You can set the defaults for a
given
document or for all new documents based on the given template.

http://word.mvps.org

"weekend" wrote in message
2007. part of Office 2007

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word? Can't
seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
weekend weekend is offline

Susan: I have to apologize. I told you I had the 2007 edition of MS Office
Professional, but it's the 2003. (I'd bought the computer last winter, and
forgot that the older edition was installed.) So I don't have a Manage Styles
dialog or a button on the left corner of the Styles pane. I have the much
more limited Change Styles option. Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't
include any change to default font size. Again, sorry for taking up your time
with bad information. ingrid wiegand

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In that case you're best advised to change the font on the Set
Defaults
tab
of the Manage Styles dialog, which is accessed via a button in the
lower
right corner of the Styles window/pane. You can set the defaults for a
given
document or for all new documents based on the given template.

http://word.mvps.org

"weekend" wrote in message
2007. part of Office 2007

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word? Can't
seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Okay, in that case, you simply follow the directions in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm. Change
the font face and size in the Fonts dialog, click Default..., and answer
yes.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In that case you're best advised to change the font on the Set
Defaults
tab
of the Manage Styles dialog, which is accessed via a button in the
lower
right corner of the Styles window/pane. You can set the defaults
for a
given
document or for all new documents based on the given template.

http://word.mvps.org

"weekend" wrote in message
2007. part of Office 2007

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word?
Can't
seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
weekend weekend is offline

Suzanne: this is getting curiouser & curiouser, as Alice used to say. The
link you gave me, which claims it covers all Word 2004 and earlier, doesn't.
I've been using Word since Word 95, and I know the Standard Toolbar where you
set up your fonts from Format. Word 2003 (which my control panel assures me
is the one I have) has the new toolbar system, where Home, Insert, Page
Layout, etc, each have their own assembly of sub-toolbars. And in THAT
system, I have Change Styles (not Manage Styles) as a subset of Home, and it
works as I described in my previous reply. Will appreciate any further help
you can give me. ingrid

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word? Can't seem to
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have that layout, then you have Word 2007. You may also have Word
2003 installed, but what you are viewing, if it has the Ribbon, is Word
2007. And if it's Word 2007 then you access the Manage Styles dialog as
described: click the dialog launcher arrow in the bottom right corner of the
Styles group (below Change Styles; do NOT click the arrow on the Change
Styles button) on the Home tab to open the Styles window, then click the
Manage Styles button in the Styles window; it is the third button from the
left in the bottom left corner. In the Manage Styles dialog, choose the Set
Defaults tab.

http://word.mvps.org

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word? Can't seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
weekend weekend is offline

Suzanne: thanks for your patience. Got it. Don't ask me how I got Word 2007,
because I don't know and neither does my Control Panel. Nevertheless, I hope
Windows 7 makes the change-default option more findable. Thanks again. ingrid

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word? Can't seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Windows 7 will not change Word 2007, and Office 14 will probably not change
this feature. If this is a new computer, you probably got a trial version of
Office 2007 on it. I don't know what Control Panel has to do with showing
you what version of Word you have (unless you're looking at Add and Remove
Programs), but it's possible to have both 2003 and 2007 running side by side
(I do).

In any case, I *think* you can change the default font the same way in Word
2007; that is, I think that using the Default... button in the Font dialog
changes the document defaults rather than Normal style directly, so it would
be okay to do it that way, too.

http://word.mvps.org

news

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word? Can't
seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
weekend weekend is offline

Thanks. but now that I've got you, would you also tell me two things: one,
where is Word Help (if any), so I don't have to go the this site every time I
have a question? I can't find the help link, which used to stare you in the
face.....And two, when I select a new word from the Thesaurus, what do you
click on to get it to substitute for the word you want to change? You used to
just hit Enter once you selected the new word, but that doesn't work in this
version of Word.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Windows 7 will not change Word 2007, and Office 14 will probably not change
this feature. If this is a new computer, you probably got a trial version of
Office 2007 on it. I don't know what Control Panel has to do with showing
you what version of Word you have (unless you're looking at Add and Remove
Programs), but it's possible to have both 2003 and 2007 running side by side
(I do).

In any case, I *think* you can change the default font the same way in Word
2007; that is, I think that using the Default... button in the Font dialog
changes the document defaults rather than Normal style directly, so it would
be okay to do it that way, too.

http://word.mvps.org

news

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word? Can't
seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can't answer about the Thesaurus (I don't use it), but Help is accessed
via F1 as in every other version of Word (and every Windows program) or by
the tiny round question mark button in the upper right corner.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

news

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word? Can't
seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
weekend weekend is offline

Suzanne: I was notified of a reply to this post, and the board shows there is
one, but the reply doesn't show when you open it. ingrid

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Windows 7 will not change Word 2007, and Office 14 will probably not change
this feature. If this is a new computer, you probably got a trial version of
Office 2007 on it. I don't know what Control Panel has to do with showing
you what version of Word you have (unless you're looking at Add and Remove
Programs), but it's possible to have both 2003 and 2007 running side by side
(I do).

In any case, I *think* you can change the default font the same way in Word
2007; that is, I think that using the Default... button in the Font dialog
changes the document defaults rather than Normal style directly, so it would
be okay to do it that way, too.

http://word.mvps.org

news

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word? Can't
seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My reply was:

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

news Suzanne: thanks for your patience. Got it. Don't ask me how I got

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word?
Can't
seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
weekend weekend is offline

THANKS again for all your help. Am off to watch the inauguration. Best to all
of us. Best to the USofA! Best to you. ingrid

My reply was:

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word?
Can't
seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ZinZen ZinZen is offline

Message for Suzanne S. Barnhill - 3/10/10
Re Changing Default Font and Font Size
MS Vista/ MS Office Word 2007

Your exchanges with Ingrid were very helpful as I have been struggling with
the similar or same problem for some time. In spite of numerous attempts, I
have been unsuccessful in making the changes...and just cannot figure out why.

It seems that by using your procedure I can change the default for the font
size, however, when I reopen a blank Word document it always defaults to the
MS "Calibri" font. Is it possible that when the computer was first set up a
box was checked that did not permit the default font to be changed (w/o
following an 'extra ordinary' means) using normal protocols as you so clearly
delineated for Ingrid?

What do you think is going on? Can you recommend a remedy?

Thank you!

Zinzen

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word? Can't
seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you clicked the Default... button in the Font dialog, did you first
change the selected font from +Body to your desired font?

http://word.mvps.org

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word?
Can't
seem
find
where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"weekend" wrote in message
how do I set up my own default font and font size in Word?
Can't
seem
find
where to do it.

Default font & default paragraph spacing changing automatically Doo Microsoft Word Help 3 October 16th 08 06:26 PM
default font Garry Microsoft Word Help 2 June 10th 06 12:02 PM
Default Font akjeff Microsoft Word Help 1 February 10th 06 05:14 PM
How do I set a default font? bobby joe Microsoft Word Help 2 February 21st 05 08:01 PM
Default Font Lloyd Microsoft Word Help 3 December 21st 04 03:42 PM