Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aris Meneshian Aris Meneshian is offline

Default Captions in landscape.

I am trying to caption a landscape picture. The only way I am able to do is
open a text box. Is there a way of captioning without a text box so that the
captions appears under the picture going vertically? I am using Word 2003
with Windows 7.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is not clear what you are attempting, but see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...apeSection.htm

"Aris Meneshian" wrote in message
I am trying to caption a landscape picture. The only way I am able to do is
open a text box. Is there a way of captioning without a text box so that
the
captions appears under the picture going vertically? I am using Word 2003
with Windows 7.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can also change text direction in a table cell or frame, either of which
is visible to the Table of Figures.

http://word.mvps.org

"Aris Meneshian" wrote in message
I am trying to caption a landscape picture. The only way I am able to do is
open a text box. Is there a way of captioning without a text box so that
the
captions appears under the picture going vertically? I am using Word 2003
with Windows 7.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aris Meneshian Aris Meneshian is offline

Thank you Suzanne. I have to learn about frames which seems to be an
important item in dealing with captions. I have your article on this item
referred to me by Graham. Although it deals with headers and footers, it is
still important to me. I have to read it a couple of times to familiarize
myself with its contents.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can also change text direction in a table cell or frame, either of which
is visible to the Table of Figures.

http://word.mvps.org

"Aris Meneshian" wrote in message
I am trying to caption a landscape picture. The only way I am able to do is
open a text box. Is there a way of captioning without a text box so that
the
captions appears under the picture going vertically? I am using Word 2003
with Windows 7.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aris Meneshian Aris Meneshian is offline

Thank you Graham for referring me to the article by Suzanne. Right after I
posted my question I realized that I had not stated my problem clearly. What
I meant is that I have a picture in landscape to a portrait page, and I want
to place a caption under the picture so that when the page is turned 90
degrees the caption show right to left. I hope I am clear this time.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It is not clear what you are attempting, but see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...apeSection.htm

"Aris Meneshian" wrote in message
I am trying to caption a landscape picture. The only way I am able to do is
open a text box. Is there a way of captioning without a text box so that
the
captions appears under the picture going vertically? I am using Word 2003
with Windows 7.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Frames are old tech, which MS intended to replace with text boxes, but it
turned out that there are some things for which text boxes are not suitable.
Because text boxes are in the drawing layer, Word cannot "see" them when
creating a TOC, TOF, cross-references, etc. And you can't insert footnotes,
endnotes, or comments in text boxes. Frames, however, are in the text layer,
so they satisfy all these needs. They don't have as many wrapping styles as
text boxes (basically two: None and Around), so they're not suitable for
placing text on top of graphics, for example, but they work very well for
some other purposes because they can "float" much like a text box (be placed
anywhere on a page).

Subsequent versions of Word have made it increasingly difficult to find
frames. In earlier version, Frame was on the Insert menu. Then it
disappeared, to be replaced by something with a deceptively similar name but
an entirely different purpose (it creates a "frames page" in a Web file). In
Word 97, if you wanted to restore Frame to the Insert menu, you had to know
that, in the Customize dialog, it was hiding under the name "Horizontal."
Later versions had not hidden it quite so well.

Through all those versions, however, there has always been an Insert Frame
button on the Forms toolbar, and you can access it that way in any version
(even in Word 2007, from the Legacy Tools on the Developer tab). But you can
also add the command to a toolbar or menu in earlier versions or the QAT in
Word 2007.

For one use of frames in Word, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MarginalText.htm

The main point here, however, is that the Text Direction command, which
allows you to rotate text, is present in frames and table cells as well as
in text boxes. If your landscape graphic was rotated in an external program
(so that it can be inserted In Line With Text and still be rotated), then
the simplest solution is to place the graphic in the left cell of a
two-column, one-row table and your caption text (rotated) in the right cell.
If the graphic has to be rotated in Word, then you can't place it actually
IN the table, but you can anchor it to the table paragraph and position it
over the column. Alternatively, you can create a one-cell table, set its
wrapping to Around, and position it as required.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can also change text direction in a table cell or frame, either of
which
is visible to the Table of Figures.

http://word.mvps.org

"Aris Meneshian" wrote in
message
I am trying to caption a landscape picture. The only way I am able to do
is
open a text box. Is there a way of captioning without a text box so
that
the
captions appears under the picture going vertically? I am using Word
2003
with Windows 7.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aris Meneshian Aris Meneshian is offline

Thank you very much Suzanne for the extensive explanation to solve my
problem. I will try it later on.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can also change text direction in a table cell or frame, either of
which
is visible to the Table of Figures.

http://word.mvps.org

"Aris Meneshian" wrote in
message
I am trying to caption a landscape picture. The only way I am able to do
is
open a text box. Is there a way of captioning without a text box so
that
the
captions appears under the picture going vertically? I am using Word
2003
with Windows 7.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aris Meneshian Aris Meneshian is offline

Thank you Suzanne,

I was able to achieve entering cations in landscape. In the process I leaned
a lot from your instructions.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can also change text direction in a table cell or frame, either of
which
is visible to the Table of Figures.

http://word.mvps.org

"Aris Meneshian" wrote in
message
I am trying to caption a landscape picture. The only way I am able to do
is
open a text box. Is there a way of captioning without a text box so
that
the
captions appears under the picture going vertically? I am using Word
2003
with Windows 7.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can also change text direction in a table cell or frame, either of
which
is visible to the Table of Figures.

http://word.mvps.org

"Aris Meneshian" wrote in
message
I am trying to caption a landscape picture. The only way I am able to
do
is
open a text box. Is there a way of captioning without a text box so
that
the
captions appears under the picture going vertically? I am using Word
2003
with Windows 7.

.

.

Lost Captions, Out of Sequence Captions, ... Jim Rodgers Formatting Long Documents 8 May 21st 12 05:09 PM
Captions in Landscape Mode gtchickadee Page Layout 1 September 25th 09 06:58 PM
captions domnotdum Microsoft Word Help 3 March 12th 09 09:35 AM
Table captions converted to figure captions, & vice versa bufossil Microsoft Word Help 12 May 18th 07 08:10 AM
Captions, multiple captions on the same line allan Microsoft Word Help 1 March 8th 05 08:33 PM