Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Pat is offline

Default Excel to Word question

I copied an Excel table into Word and then copied it to a CD-RW for someone
else to update periodically. They can edit and make changes but are unable
to Save the changes. Working with the CD, is there anything they can do to
enable them to save? I no longer have the original Excel or Word tables on
my computer.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Never work on a file that's on removeable media. Never save directly to
removeable media.

Tell the user to copy the file to their hard drive, make their changes, then
burn it back to the CD.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Pat" wrote in message
I copied an Excel table into Word and then copied it to a CD-RW for someone
else to update periodically. They can edit and make changes but are
unable
to Save the changes. Working with the CD, is there anything they can do
enable them to save? I no longer have the original Excel or Word tables
on
my computer.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In addition, by default, files copied to a CD will have the Read Only
attribute set in the File Properties. After copying the file to the Hard
Disk, the user will need to right click on the file in Windows Explorer and
select Properties and uncheck the Read Only box.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Pat" wrote in message
I copied an Excel table into Word and then copied it to a CD-RW for
someone
else to update periodically. They can edit and make changes but are
unable
to Save the changes. Working with the CD, is there anything they can do
enable them to save? I no longer have the original Excel or Word tables
on
my computer.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SS[_2_] SS[_2_] is offline

"Pat" wrote in message
I copied an Excel table into Word and then copied it to a CD-RW for
someone
else to update periodically. They can edit and make changes but are
unable
to Save the changes. Working with the CD, is there anything they can do
enable them to save? I no longer have the original Excel or Word tables
on
my computer.

Just a small point and I am in no way skilled in this. However I have a
booking form I use on excel and if I send it to whoever by email and they
fill in the details (from opening in the email) and then return it does not
save the information, if however they save to desktop complete and then
re-attach to an email it does save it. May give you some pointers.