Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
computerkiller computerkiller is offline

Default Calculating time using minutes.

I have created an invoice to record the minutes I work on a job but can not
figure out how to sum the total time I want the minutes in the format hours
and half hours, ie 1.5 hours. Can some one tell me how to do this. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How are the times being entered into the invoice? In what format? As
ordinary text? Into FormFields?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"computerkiller" wrote in message
I have created an invoice to record the minutes I work on a job but can
not
figure out how to sum the total time I want the minutes in the format
hours
and half hours, ie 1.5 hours. Can some one tell me how to do this. Thank
you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
computerkiller computerkiller is offline

I am going to input them as 15 min intervals. I do not know what you mean as
format, unless you mean time = .15. I guess that would be ordinary text. I am
not using FormFields. This is just as a column with the time in it. (Note
this is in Word.)

Thank you for responding. DB.

_______________

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

How are the times being entered into the invoice? In what format? As
ordinary text? Into FormFields?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"computerkiller" wrote in message
I have created an invoice to record the minutes I work on a job but can
not
figure out how to sum the total time I want the minutes in the format
hours
and half hours, ie 1.5 hours. Can some one tell me how to do this. Thank
you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Yandl[_3_] Steve Yandl[_3_] is offline

computerkiller,

Even if you enter your numbers as text, the program will determine results
in a mathematically correct way and you might be setting yourself up for
some odd results based on what you've described.

If you're entering minutes, and you write decimal point one five ".15" that
might been 15 100ths of a minute and I doubt that's what you wanted. If you
intend for .15 to be interpreted as 15 minutes, that won't happen (15 100ths
of an hour is actually 9 minutes and I don't think that's what you want).
If you're really wanting to enter minutes, just enter the number without a
decimal point. The problem is that if you're just typing this into a column
in Word or into cells in a Word table rather than a form, it's tough to
limit data entry to multiples of 15 minutes but if you're the only user of
this setup that shouldn't be a problem; you just know to enter 15, 30, 45,
60, 75 or whatever the correct number of minutes is.

Steve

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

How are the times being entered into the invoice? In what format? As
ordinary text? Into FormFields?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"computerkiller" wrote in
message
I have created an invoice to record the minutes I work on a job but can
not
figure out how to sum the total time I want the minutes in the format
hours
and half hours, ie 1.5 hours. Can some one tell me how to do this.
Thank
you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Assuming that you are entering the times as minutes (15, 30, 45 etc.) into
the cells of a column in a table, in the cell where you want the total to
appear, you can used the formula

{ = SUM(ABOVE)/60 }

If you are using .15 for 15 minutes, then you would use

{ = SUM(ABOVE)/.6

However, using 1.5 for one hour and 30 minutes, will not give you the
correct result. You would have to use .90 for that; two hours would be 1.2
etc.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

How are the times being entered into the invoice? In what format? As
ordinary text? Into FormFields?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"computerkiller" wrote in
message
I have created an invoice to record the minutes I work on a job but can
not
figure out how to sum the total time I want the minutes in the format
hours
and half hours, ie 1.5 hours. Can some one tell me how to do this.
Thank
you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

How are the times being entered into the invoice? In what format? As
ordinary text? Into FormFields?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"computerkiller" wrote in
message
I have created an invoice to record the minutes I work on a job but can
not
figure out how to sum the total time I want the minutes in the format
hours
and half hours, ie 1.5 hours. Can some one tell me how to do this.
Thank
you.

Word takes 10 minutes reconfiguring every time a file is opened Lance Microsoft Word Help 2 December 8th 08 11:55 PM
calculating hours/time kimla10 Tables 3 October 24th 07 09:47 AM
Computer is very slow, hanging for minutes at a time, solutions? Bajan Microsoft Word Help 3 April 22nd 06 06:31 PM
Working with formulas in Word tables - calculating time on scene. HCFRAdmin Tables 6 January 21st 06 06:28 AM
Calculating with a Percent calculate, percent, formula Tables 1 December 8th 04 10:23 PM