epalanb epalanb is offline
Junior Member

Default Trying to Create a Template

New here.............

I have been struggling with this for hours. I need to someone that can help and I figured there must be someone that would be able to quickly tell me how.

I have a Contract that has lines in there for someone to fill out information. For example it says Name:______________________ and then there is a spot with a line like I have with a space for them to fill in info. I would like to be able to fill in the person's name just above the line and keep the line in tact. Trouble is that some of these "fill in the blank" areas can be very different in length. Sometimes it will be just a few words and others it could be a few lines or a whole paragraph. This screws up the formatting down below and I have been fixing this by going back each time and under Format Paragraph tweaking spacing. This is most annoying and VERY time consuming. There has to be a better way! Does anyone know what it is? How do you hold the rest of the document together and keep everything ELSE in the same spot and not have to go back and tweak everything so it looks right each time?

Thanks,
Alan

Last edited by epalanb : May 10th 10 at 05:29 PM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/LinesInForms.htm and especially
the forms tutorials by Dian Chapman that this article links to.

http://word.mvps.org

--
epalanb

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JenC JenC is offline

When I create these kinds of fill-in forms, I set them up as tables with two
columns (turn off the borders on the table so there are no lines, but make
sure your gridlines are showing so you can see what you're doing). The
"Name:" part would go in the left column, and then the right column is blank
for your answers. But the key is to turn on only the bottom border of each
cell in the right column. This way you see the line, but you can still type
in the table above. It also helps set up your form nicely so that all the
lines are aligned (it's a personal pet peeve of mine when I see forms that
have lines that are not lined up at the right side of the page - looks
messy!).

Hope this helps,
Jen

.