Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TheWizEd TheWizEd is offline

Default Multilevel lists

I have never had so much trouble creating a multi-level list and table of
contents than with Word 2007. I can not control the numbering in outline and
get a table of contents. The numbering does not seem to continue from the
previous number no matter how many times I tell it to. It jumps back and
start at 1 even though it has multiple sub levels attached.

Wow. It totally unituitive.
radford sallee radford sallee is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizEd View Post
I have never had so much trouble creating a multi-level list and table of contents than with Word 2007. I can not control the numbering in outline and get a table of contents. The numbering does not seem to continue from the previous number no matter how many times I tell it to. It jumps back and start at 1 even though it has multiple sub levels attached.
I have the same problem in constructing an outline for a paper that I am writing. I'm sure this would be easy if I knew a great deal about Word, but for now I want it to simply mimic a good typewriter. I'd like to be able to use the tab key to do my own indentions, and add my own numerals and letters to items in the outline. But MS Office Word 07 will not allow me to place text where I want it to go, and the program often overrides and changes the numbers or letters that I have assigned to items.

It’s very annoying to append something to, say, "Item 3" in the outline, and watch with dismay as Word automatically renames my addition as "Item 4," then proceeds through the entire outline, changing the actual Item 4 to Item 5, etc. etc.

Eventually I want to learn how to use Word as it was designed to be used, but for now, I'd like know how to place numbers and letters and punctuation exactly where I want them on the screen. How, please?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can still number manually. First apply one of the List styles, which
have a hanging indent built in. Or apply a hanging indent to your paragraph.
You can either type numbers and Undo Word's AutoFormat, or you can go to
Office Button | Word Options | Proofing | AutoCorrect Options | AutoFormat
As You Type and disable automatic numbered lists (and any more of the
AutoFormat items you don't want); for more, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm

http://word.mvps.org

--
radford sallee

radford sallee radford sallee is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post
You can still number manually. First apply one of the List styles or ....
(from) Suzanne S. Barnhill....
Thanks, Suzanne, I'll read those instructions. They sound like what I need. I still wish Word included a command like "temporarily become a typewriter, 1940s Olympia," but that's probably a temporary condition called ignorance. - Rad

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you disable all the AutoFormat As You Type options (even though some of
them are actually quite useful), you'll be close to having a typewriter,
with the exception that lines will wrap without your having to press the
carriage return lever. This is, needless to say, not the most effective way
to use Word (some good places to start letting Word help are first-line
indents instead of an initial tab character and Spacing After instead of
pressing Enter twice), but it does get you back to basics.