Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jack Tony Jack is offline

Default How do I change the default paragraph format for bullet lists?

I have set up my default paragraphs in Word in metric units (i.e. default
tabs are 1cm). When I use the bullet or number buttons in the Home tab the
formatting is in inches (indent 0.63 cm = 1/4 inch, hanging indent = 0.63 cm)
which leaves the first line out of line with the body of the paragraph -
first line indent at 1 cm, body of the paragraph at 1.26 cm. Can I change
the default formatting when I use the bullet of number buttons?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

No, you cannot change the default settings of those buttons. Instead, use
styles to set up numbering and bullet formatting. If you want specific
instructions, tell me your version of Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tony Jack" Tony wrote in message
I have set up my default paragraphs in Word in metric units (i.e. default
tabs are 1cm). When I use the bullet or number buttons in the Home tab
the
formatting is in inches (indent 0.63 cm = 1/4 inch, hanging indent = 0.63
cm)
which leaves the first line out of line with the body of the paragraph -
first line indent at 1 cm, body of the paragraph at 1.26 cm. Can I change
the default formatting when I use the bullet of number buttons?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jack[_2_] Tony Jack[_2_] is offline

Thanks Stefan. I thought this might be the case. I know how to set up new
styles, so will revert to this more cumbersome approach.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

No, you cannot change the default settings of those buttons. Instead, use
styles to set up numbering and bullet formatting. If you want specific
instructions, tell me your version of Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tony Jack" Tony wrote in message
I have set up my default paragraphs in Word in metric units (i.e. default
tabs are 1cm). When I use the bullet or number buttons in the Home tab
the
formatting is in inches (indent 0.63 cm = 1/4 inch, hanging indent = 0.63
cm)
which leaves the first line out of line with the body of the paragraph -
first line indent at 1 cm, body of the paragraph at 1.26 cm. Can I change
the default formatting when I use the bullet of number buttons?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Flemillo Flemillo is offline

Hi Stefan, thanks for clearing that up, I've spent ages trying to work out
how to change the default tab setting from 1.27cm to 1cm. Any chance
Microsoft could include this in future versions of Word? Frankly it's a pain
for everyone in non-Imperial measure countries (which I've just read in
another post only is the US and Myanmar) to continually have to reformat dot
points and mess around with styles which are also a bit of pain to use.

thanks

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Flemillo Flemillo is offline

Hi Stefan, thanks for clearing that up, I've spent ages trying to work out
how to change the default tab setting from 1.27cm to 1cm. Any chance
Microsoft could include this in future versions of Word? Frankly it's a pain
for everyone in non-Imperial measure countries (which I've just read in
another post only is the US and Myanmar) to continually have to reformat dot
points and mess around with styles which are also a bit of pain to use.

thanks

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is simple enough to change the default tab stops. Open the normal
template in Word. Change the default tab stop to whatever you want, then
save and close. New documents based on the template will have the new
default tab setting.

FWIW it is much better to set the required tabs in the styles that require
them and avoid using the default tabs at all - except for ad hoc documents.

"Flemillo" wrote in message
Hi Stefan, thanks for clearing that up, I've spent ages trying to work out
how to change the default tab setting from 1.27cm to 1cm. Any chance
Microsoft could include this in future versions of Word? Frankly it's a
pain
for everyone in non-Imperial measure countries (which I've just read in
another post only is the US and Myanmar) to continually have to reformat
dot
points and mess around with styles which are also a bit of pain to use.

thanks

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Flemillo" wrote in message
Hi Stefan, thanks for clearing that up, I've spent ages trying to work out
how to change the default tab setting from 1.27cm to 1cm. Any chance
Microsoft could include this in future versions of Word? Frankly it's a
pain
for everyone in non-Imperial measure countries (which I've just read in
another post only is the US and Myanmar) to continually have to reformat
dot
points and mess around with styles which are also a bit of pain to use.

thanks

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And if you are working with bullets and numbering, you *definitely* should be
using custom tab stops, defined via the bullets/numbering options.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Flemillo" wrote in message
Hi Stefan, thanks for clearing that up, I've spent ages trying to work out
how to change the default tab setting from 1.27cm to 1cm. Any chance
Microsoft could include this in future versions of Word? Frankly it's a pain
for everyone in non-Imperial measure countries (which I've just read in
another post only is the US and Myanmar) to continually have to reformat dot
points and mess around with styles which are also a bit of pain to use.

thanks

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Flemillo" wrote in message
Hi Stefan, thanks for clearing that up, I've spent ages trying to work out
how to change the default tab setting from 1.27cm to 1cm. Any chance
Microsoft could include this in future versions of Word? Frankly it's a pain
for everyone in non-Imperial measure countries (which I've just read in
another post only is the US and Myanmar) to continually have to reformat dot
points and mess around with styles which are also a bit of pain to use.

thanks

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are welcome.

--