Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WW WW is offline

Default Saving settings in Office 2007

Since Microsoft omitted the "save my settings" wizard in Office 2007, how can
all the settings and customizing be saved in case of PC failure or hard drive
reload?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi WW

See What files do I need to back up?
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"WW" wrote in message
Since Microsoft omitted the "save my settings" wizard in Office 2007, how
can
all the settings and customizing be saved in case of PC failure or hard
drive
reload?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alana Alana is offline

I am VERY sad that Microsoft left out this tool! It was actually the most
useful tool that was included in the Office 2003 suite!

~alana

"WW" wrote in message
Since Microsoft omitted the "save my settings" wizard in Office 2007, how
can
all the settings and customizing be saved in case of PC failure or hard
drive
reload?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Elaine Elaine is offline

I have search everywhere for this answer. I can't believe I am the only one
wanting to backup my personal settings. I run 2007 Word on 2 computers. All
I am trying to do is make both programs the same. Does any one know how to
do this??

"WW" wrote:

Since Microsoft omitted the "save my settings" wizard in Office 2007, how can
all the settings and customizing be saved in case of PC failure or hard drive
reload?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word 2007 stores its information in a range of places, but the essential
ones are

1. The contents of the user templates folder - unless you have changed the
location, this folder can be found by entering
%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates
in the address bar of Windows or Internet Explorer
2. The contents of the Word startup folder - unless you have changed the
location, this folder can be found by entering
%appdata%\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP
in the address bar of Windows or Internet Explorer
3. Building Blocks.dotx file - this file is in a folder which can be found
by entering
%appdata%\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks
in the address bar of Windows or Internet Explorer. In this case the
required Building Blocks.dotx file will be in a sub folder which is a four
digit number that is your country code.
4. The User Dictionary - by default the user dictionary will be in the
folder that can be found by entering
%appdata%\Microsoft\UProof
in the address bar of Windows or Internet Explorer. However Word 2007 can
use more than one user dictionary. Check whether you have any more installed
from Word Options Proofing Custom Dictionaries and note which folder(s)
they are contained in.
5. There are several pertinent settings in the registry that you may wish to
back-up - in particular the Word data key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Data
but also
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Options
6. If you have custom labels defined, see the relevant note at
http://www.gmayor.com/custom_labels.htm

Transfer these files and registry entries to the same locations on the
second PC.