Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jim Jim is offline

Default outline number in 2007

I've been trying for hours to modify the Heading styles in a 2007 Word
document without success. I want my headings to look like:
1 heading 1
1.1 heading 2
1.1.1 heading 3
1.1.2 heading 3
2 heading 1
2.1 heading 2
2.2 heading 2
If I build a new document and define new heading styles, it works. But I
can't get the same results if I try the same technique in an existing
document. The number reset back to 1 for subsequent indentation.
Any suggestions?
This was easy in 2003. I was already put off by the user interface changes
in 2007 that had zero benefit. Now I'm mad.