Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
c j c j is offline

Default TOC Formating - TOC Styles aren't actually changing the font

Am I doing something wrong? I'm trying to change the font of my automatic TOC. I have modified the TOC styles (TOC1, TOC2, TOC3, etc.)--but everything I modify actually changes except the font.

I've tried changing the font in the TOC dialog box and by going through the styles. Also, I have set the styles to be based on nothing; however, they are remaining in the font of my body instead of my headings.

The TOC style descriptions read: "font: (default) Book Antiqua". Does the "default" mean something?

Join Lists with LINQ - SharePoint 2010
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-linq--sh.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

It sounds like you are doing everything right to modify the TOC styles, I
tend to modify them from the Styles and Formatting pane instead of the TOC
dialog - you don't get the "do you want to replace the TOC" question ;-)

What I think is happening is that the Headings, that the TOC is collecting,
have manual formatting applied to them, the TOC will show this manual
formatting instead of the TOC styles.

I would check the Headings themselves, and correct the appropriate Heading
styles to show what format you want at the sections, you can use
Ctrl+Spacebar to remove any manual formatting quickly. Ensure you select the
paragraph mark as well as the text, as this marker holds its own formatting
as well, to show these use Ctrl+Shft+8 or the ¶ icon (on the Home ribbon or
the Standard toolbar) to toggle.

Hope this helps
DeanH

"c j" wrote:

Am I doing something wrong? I'm trying to change the font of my automatic TOC. I have modified the TOC styles (TOC1, TOC2, TOC3, etc.)--but everything I modify actually changes except the font.

I've tried changing the font in the TOC dialog box and by going through the styles. Also, I have set the styles to be based on nothing; however, they are remaining in the font of my body instead of my headings.

The TOC style descriptions read: "font: (default) Book Antiqua". Does the "default" mean something?

Join Lists with LINQ - SharePoint 2010
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-linq--sh.aspx
.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
c j c j is offline

Default Ctrl + space, AND list/multilist formating

Dean, thanks for the tips. I'm actually building a template so I was fairly certain that there was no manual formatting.

Question: did I understand correctly that ctrl + space will reset whatever is highlighted back to a style (or rather, remove the manual)? Does the whole text need to be highlighted or just have the cursor in it?

Also, I did find that there was a list assigned to one of the heading levels that I must have inadvertently done because I don't remember doing that at all. How do you get rid of "lists in current document?" I haven't defined a list style yet for the template but in messing with the look of things I looked at many different lists for headings and now I have about 10 I can't get rid of. AND I noticed that the list was not removed with "ctrl + space."

In other words once I found that some of the headings had a list assigned to it, I looked in my styles first to verify they weren't assigned to the style. Then I removed them manually on each of that level's headings.

The font thing in my TOCs was weird; it seemed to have resolved itself...literally. I don't understand what was going on, because all of the styles still read exactly as they did when I asked the question, but one of the times I updated the TOC it changed, I suppose on it's own.

Thanks again for your help

DeanH wrote:

It sounds like you are doing everything right to modify the TOC styles, Itend
25-Feb-10

It sounds like you are doing everything right to modify the TOC styles, I
tend to modify them from the Styles and Formatting pane instead of the TOC
dialog - you do not get the "do you want to replace the TOC" question ;-)

What I think is happening is that the Headings, that the TOC is collecting,
have manual formatting applied to them, the TOC will show this manual
formatting instead of the TOC styles.

I would check the Headings themselves, and correct the appropriate Heading
styles to show what format you want at the sections, you can use
Ctrl+Spacebar to remove any manual formatting quickly. Ensure you select the
paragraph mark as well as the text, as this marker holds its own formatting
as well, to show these use Ctrl+Shft+8 or the ?? icon (on the Home ribbon or
the Standard toolbar) to toggle.

Hope this helps
DeanH

Dr. Dotnetsky's Cool .Net Tips and Tricks No. 26
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-cool-net.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

Hi c j.
For the Remove manual formatting, you have to select what you want to clear,
so that is either the word, sentence, paragraph, section, document ;-)
I mentioned the Paragraph Mark because when doing this exercise and you are
not showing the Non-printing Charaters, the Paragraph Mark could be left out
of the select, i.e. if the mouse is run across some text even to the end of
the last line. That is why I mention turning on the Non-Printing Characters
if you have not already done so. I work with these showing all the time, as I
see the benefit of these showing me exactly what is going on in the document.
If the Paragraph Mark is not selected as well and remove formatting not
applied some odd things can happen. The most obvious is say with bullets, say
you Highlight a line with a bullet (including the Paragraph Mark) then take
of the highlight but not removed from the PM, the bullet will remain
highlighted!

I am not sure what you mean by List Assigned to the Heading level? Do you
mean a ListNum field list name found on Customer the Outline Numbering List,
if so I am not sure because, probably like you, I have never intentionally
added this to a heading style. Check out the Help article for ListNum field,
to see what they actually do and probably you don't need them.
It would not be removed by Ctrl+Spacebar because it is not a manual
formatting attribute.
In my usual Customise Numbering Heading settings this box is blank.
I am searching to find where these ListNum Field names are kept so you can
delete the Lists that you have created. I shall come back when I find
something.

Question, was the original formatting error only on the number of the
heading? If so you must edit the Font button for the outline numbering to
match the Heading Style. A common mistake some people do.

Well, I am glad you got the formatting sorted, by what ever means ;-)

DeanH

"c j" wrote:

Dr. Dotnetsky's Cool .Net Tips and Tricks No. 26
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-cool-net.aspx
.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
c j c j is offline

Default Numbered list assigned to heading 1 but not in style

No Dean, what I mean about the list on the heading is that:

- when my cursor is in a "Heading 1" the "start numbered list" icon in the paragraph group of the home tab is highlighted.

-at the same time, if I select the "Heading 1" style to modify it, and choose the "numbering" option from the format menu, then the numbering is set to "None"

I noticed something must be up when I update a TOC and out of nowhere my Chapters were coming up numbered in the TOC...but didn't appear so on the actual Chapter Heading in the document.

I "like" what is happening, BUT I would like MORE to know how to do this (I have tried again, and can't get the same effect) intentionally for future reference. Do you know what is going on?

DeanH wrote:

Hi c j.
26-Feb-10

[...]

to see what they actually do and probably you do not need them.
It would not be removed by Ctrl+Spacebar because it is not a manual
formatting attribute.
In my usual Customise Numbering Heading settings this box is blank.
I am searching to find where these ListNum Field names are kept so you can
delete the Lists that you have created. I shall come back when I find
something.

Question, was the original formatting error only on the number of the
heading? If so you must edit the Font button for the outline numbering to
match the Heading Style. A common mistake some people do.

Well, I am glad you got the formatting sorted, by what ever means ;-)

DeanH

What's New for Developers in SharePoint 2010 Object Model?
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...evelopers.aspx