Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Emma Emma is offline

Default How do I get page numbering to ignore document sections?

OS: Windows XP Professional 2002
Program: Word 2003

I have a four section document with portrait and landscape pages. I need the
first section to have its own separate numbering, then I need to restart
numbering for sections 2-4. Numbering is in Page X of Y format.

Naturally, word wants to restart my numbering at the beginning of each new
section. When I choose to continue numbering from previous section, it goes
from page 9 to 11. So naturally, I am wondering where the 10 has gone.....

Also, when you use the 'Page X of Y' format, Word will only let you display
the total number of pages in the entire document or the total number of pages
in that section. Is there any way to manipulate this? I need it to display
the total number of pages for the combined sections 2-4.

I have asked people in the office but they are looking at me like I've just
sprouted horns...so professional advice, anyone?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Sounds like you may have an Odd Page Section break after page 9.

To get the page numbering in Sections 2 through 4 to appear as X of Y where
Y is the total number of pages in those sections, you will need to insert a
bookmark at the end of the first Section - let's call the bookmark
SectionOnePages, and then use the following field construction for Y in
Sections 2 through 4

{ = { NUMPAGES } - { PAGEREF SectionOnePages } }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of the field delimiters { } and you
use Alt+F9 to toggle off the display of the field codes.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"emma" wrote in message
[...]

KirstyN KirstyN is offline
Junior Member

I know this original post was agesssss ago but just wanted to add in the changes I had to make to get this to work correctly.

{ = {NUMPAGES } - {PAGEREF SectioOnePages \# "0" \* MERGEFORMAT}}

When I inserted the PAGEREF field I selected 0 Numeric Format and 1,2,3 from the Format drop down. And also chose to select the Preserve Formatting During Updates, hence the \* MERGEFORMAT

Without these selections I was getting an undefined bookmark error.

Hope this helps someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Robbins - Word MVP View Post

"emma" wrote in message
[...]

Last edited by KirstyN : April 4th 13 at 06:19 AM Reason: Adding changes