alpaca alpaca is offline
Junior Member

Default Non-standard page numbers

I am attempting to re-create an existing book, and so have to follow the book's styles and conventions. It's a genealogy book, and the person who created it used the left (even) page to print text about the person, and the right (odd) page to print a small chart showing the person's heritage. So with the book open to any spot, everything about any given person is shown on the left and right pages of the open book. Great.

However, guess how he numbered the pages? The left and right pages are THE SAME number. Which kind of makes sense for this type of book and record.

My problem is obvious: Can I somehow tell Word that the page number should increment on every OTHER page, rather than every page as is usual?

For example, opening the book to a random point, the page number progression is:

3.7
3.7
3.8
3.8
4.1
4.1
4.2
4.2

I think I can handle the formatting of the two-page page number; Word has an option for that kind of (chapter) numbering. But how do I tell Word repeat every page number once?

Or is there a better/different approach to take to the problem.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.