Default Why can't I rotate text box?

Why can't I rotate a text box?

When I go into Format Text Box / Size, I see a
rotation option. But it is greyed out -- unusable.

That suggests to me that something -- some other
option -- is causing the rotation option to be
inapplicable.

I have gone through all of the Tools options.
I have disabled nearly all of the automatic
corrections etc, to no avail.

I can use Text Direction. But that limits me
to multiples of 90 degress. I was hoping to
turn text 45 degrees -- and ideally to any angle.

Can I do that?

I am using MS Word 2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1 on
an MS Win XP Pro system.

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Why can't I rotate text box?

It sounds like the text box you are trying to rotate may be anchored to a specific location in your document, which can prevent it from being rotated. Here are some steps you can try to rotate the text box:
  1. Click on the text box to select it.
  2. Right-click on the text box and select "Format Text Box" from the menu.
  3. In the "Format Text Box" dialog box, click on the "Layout" tab.
  4. Under "Wrapping style," select "In line with text."
  5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
  6. Click on the text box again to select it.
  7. Click and drag the green rotation handle at the top of the text box to rotate it to the desired angle.

If the rotation handle is still grayed out, try selecting the text box and pressing the "Ctrl" key while clicking and dragging the rotation handle. This can sometimes override any anchoring or other formatting that may be preventing the text box from being rotated.
__________________
Pat Garard

G'Day Joe,

Why can't I rotate a text box?

Because a Text Box can not be rotated!

That suggests to me that something -- some other
option -- is causing the rotation option to be
inapplicable.

The same dialog is used for OTHER objects, a rectangle
for example, that CAN be rotated (but not the text inside
them).

Can I do that?

Try WordArt!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

oups.com...

Graham Mayor wrote:
See http://www.gmayor.com/rotate_text.htm for workarounds

Thanks. Yes, Paste Special As Picture allows me to
rotate the text.

One question .... My Paste Special dialog box (usually)
only provides the option Picture (Windows Metafile), not
simply Picture, which appears in your exmple.

What am I doing wrong?

I say "usually" because one time I did see Picture as
well as Picture (Windows Metafile). I cannot remember
what sequence of keystrokes made that happen. But when
I repeat the simple sequence of Copy followed by Paste
Special, I repeatedly see only Picture (Windows Metafile).

FYI, I disabled most of the automatic mechanisms under
Tools customize, options, and autocorrect. I am using
Word 2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1 with XP Pro.

Graham Mayor

The illustrations were taken from Word 2000 - some of the options have since
been removed as part of Microsoft's security purge.

wrote:
Graham Mayor wrote:
See
http://www.gmayor.com/rotate_text.htm for workarounds

Thanks. Yes, Paste Special As Picture allows me to
rotate the text.

One question .... My Paste Special dialog box (usually)
only provides the option Picture (Windows Metafile), not
simply Picture, which appears in your example.