Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GAPROF55 GAPROF55 is offline

Default Why does my text turn red and underlined?

In the middle of many Word documents, suddenly my text is red and underlined
and there are formatting messages to the right. These messages are not
invisible but print out with the document, which is not what I want. I am
unable to make this start once it begins happening. If you can, please tell
me how to disable this feature. Thanks!
--
SB
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Why does my text turn red and underlined?

Hi SB,

It sounds like you have accidentally turned on the spelling and grammar check feature in Word. This feature highlights potential spelling and grammar errors in your text by underlining them in red and blue respectively.

To turn off this feature, you can follow these steps:
  1. Open your Word document.
  2. Click on the "Review" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Look for the "Proofing" section on the left-hand side of the ribbon.
  4. Click on the "Spelling & Grammar" button.
  5. In the dialog box that appears, uncheck the boxes next to "Check spelling as you type" and "Check grammar as you type".
  6. Click "OK" to save your changes.

This should turn off the spelling and grammar check feature and stop the red underlining in your text. If you still see red underlining after following these steps, it's possible that you have a different formatting issue in your document. Let me know if you need further assistance with this.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

It seems as if you have inadvertently enabled the Track Changes feature.
Turn it off and accept all changes made. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trac...ngesWorks.html. If
you are using Word 2007, the corresponding commands are on the Review tab of
the ribbon.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"GAPROF55" wrote in message
In the middle of many Word documents, suddenly my text is red and
underlined
and there are formatting messages to the right. These messages are not
invisible but print out with the document, which is not what I want. I am
unable to make this start once it begins happening. If you can, please
tell
me how to disable this feature. Thanks!
--
SB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You're turning on Track Changes, probably by pressing the shortcut
Ctrl+Shift+E unintentionally. Read
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trac...ngesWorks.html.

If the shortcut is too easy for you to press by accident, you can disable
it. Go to Tools Customize Keyboard (or in Word 2007, Office button
Word Options Customize Keyboard). In the left-hand list, click on All
Commands. Then in the right-hand list click on ToolsRevisionMarksToggle.
When the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+E appears in the Current Keys box, click on it
and click the Remove button. The Track Changes function will still be
available from the Tools menu (or the Review ribbon in Word 2007) if you
need to use it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman