Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jamowa jamowa is offline

Default How do I copy cell format (borders etc) to another cell

I have many cells in a Word table that I want to have the same borders/lines
format. Is it possible to copy the formatting of one cell to multiple cells?
Like in Excel?
Thanks
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I copy cell format (borders etc) to another cell

  1. Select the cell that has the formatting you want to copy.
  2. Right-click on the selected cell and choose Copy from the context menu, or press Ctrl+C on your keyboard.
  3. Select the cells where you want to apply the formatting. You can select multiple cells by clicking and dragging your mouse over them, or by holding down the Ctrl key and clicking on each cell individually.
  4. Right-click on one of the selected cells and choose Paste Formatting from the context menu, or press Ctrl+Shift+C on your keyboard.

If you want to copy the formatting of a cell to all the cells in a row or column, you can use the Format Painter tool. Here's how:
  1. Select the cell that has the formatting you want to copy.
  2. Click on the Format Painter button in the Clipboard group on the Home tab. The cursor should change to a paintbrush icon.
  3. Click and drag the paintbrush cursor over the cells where you want to apply the formatting. You can drag it over multiple cells in a row or column, or even over multiple rows or columns.
  4. Release the mouse button to apply the formatting to the selected cells.

The Format Painter tool works like a copy-and-paste tool for formatting. It copies the formatting of the original cell and applies it to the selected cells. You can use it to quickly apply the same formatting to multiple cells in a table.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

jamowa was telling us:
jamowa nous racontait que :

I have many cells in a Word table that I want to have the same
borders/lines format. Is it possible to copy the formatting of one
cell to multiple cells? Like in Excel?
Thanks

Not like in Excel.

You can use a macro
(Select a cell, start the macro recorder, format the cell as you wish by
using as few clicks as possible, stop the recorder, use the recorded macro
to format other cells in a similar manner)
or
create a table style.

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Select the cell that has the desired formatting. Open the Borders and
Shading dialog box and click OK (to confirm the settings). Then you should
be able to select other cells and press F4 to repeat the settings of the
dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jamowa" wrote in message
I have many cells in a Word table that I want to have the same
borders/lines
format. Is it possible to copy the formatting of one cell to multiple
cells?
Like in Excel?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jamowa jamowa is offline

Thanks, Stefan, using the F4 key certainly works to paste a cell format to
another cell. Is there a way to paste to multiple cells?

I was able to paste the same border lines to individual cells selected,
however, when I tried to paste this format (left, bottom, right lines) to
multiple cells the line format appeared on the 1st cell left side, last cell
right side, and across the bottom of all cells.

Merci,
jamowa

"jamowa" wrote in message
I have many cells in a Word table that I want to have the same
borders/lines
format. Is it possible to copy the formatting of one cell to multiple
cells?
Like in Excel?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

First format two adjacent cells, one at a time, via F4; then select both of
these cells, open the Borders and Shading dialog box, verify that the
settings are correct, and click OK. You should now be able to apply the
formatting to multiple cells with F4.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jamowa" wrote in message
I have many cells in a Word table that I want to have the same
borders/lines
format. Is it possible to copy the formatting of one cell to multiple
cells?
Like in Excel?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Post back if you run into trouble.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jamowa" wrote in message
I have many cells in a Word table that I want to have the same
borders/lines
format. Is it possible to copy the formatting of one cell to
multiple
cells?
Like in Excel?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

As Stefan has implied, when you format a single cell, you get only the
options for Top, Bottom, Left, and Right. If you select multiple cells, then
you can also format the Vertical/Horizontal Inside borders, which will then
apply when you select multiple cells and press F4.

http://word.mvps.org

"jamowa" wrote in message
I have many cells in a Word table that I want to have the same
borders/lines
format. Is it possible to copy the formatting of one cell to multiple
cells?
Like in Excel?
Thanks

How to copy table cell shading to another cell in Word? owyheerover Tables 8 May 1st 23 08:51 PM
cell borders Toody Microsoft Word Help 2 November 21st 06 01:28 AM
What are my cell borders now? MJones Tables 3 July 1st 06 04:05 AM
How do I auto copy data from cell in a word table to another cell. Nev New Users 1 February 4th 05 08:51 PM
copy cell to cell Tlogan Tables 1 January 5th 05 09:20 PM