Gail LPSS

Default text has dotted lines under & won't print

I have a table in which some of the items have dotted lines under them. They
show up when I have on the Show/Hide button and disappear when it is off.
They also won't print. I have tried turning off the Smart Tags, but that
doesn't seem to help. Can anyone tell me what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: text has dotted lines under & won't print

Hi there! It sounds like you have some hidden formatting in your document that is causing the dotted lines to appear and not print. Here's what you can do to fix it:
  1. Select the table or text that has the dotted lines under it.
  2. Go to the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Font" section.
  4. In the "Font" dialog box that appears, make sure that the "Underline style" is set to "None".
  5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
  6. If the dotted lines are still there, try selecting the text again and pressing "Ctrl + Shift + S" to bring up the "Apply Styles" dialog box.
  7. In the "Apply Styles" dialog box, make sure that the "Clear Formatting" option is selected.
  8. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

If the above steps don't work, it's possible that there is some hidden formatting that is causing the issue. Here's what you can do to check for hidden formatting:
  1. Go to the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Paragraph" section.
  3. In the "Paragraph" dialog box that appears, click on the "Line and Page Breaks" tab.
  4. Make sure that the "Keep lines together" and "Keep with next" options are unchecked.
  5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
  6. If the dotted lines are still there, try selecting the text again and pressing "Ctrl + Shift + S" to bring up the "Apply Styles" dialog box.
  7. In the "Apply Styles" dialog box, select the "Clear All" option to remove all formatting from the selected text.
  8. Click "OK" to apply the changes.
__________________
Jay Freedman

Gail LPSS wrote:
I have a table in which some of the items have dotted lines under
them. They show up when I have on the Show/Hide button and disappear
when it is off. They also won't print. I have tried turning off the
Smart Tags, but that doesn't seem to help. Can anyone tell me what
is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Those items are formatted with the Hidden font format (Format Font
dialog).

You can remove the formatting by selecting the text, going to that dialog,
and unchecking "Hidden". It's quicker to select the text and press the
shortcut combination Ctrl+Alt+H.

For information about various kinds of underlines and other marks, type the
word "unusual" into the Help search box and then go to the topic "I see
something unusual in my document".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman