Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Jim is offline

Default Two-column page with unequal columns.

I've inserted a section break into a normal single-column .doc and inserted
some text in two columns. Then there's another section break and back to a
single-column format. Trouble is, Word automatically decides where to break
the 2-column layout, so that both columns are the same length. What I want
to do is fill up the first column, have it spill into the second with what's
left over and then hold still, even if the second column is only a short bit.

I can insert a manual column break, but this has to be between paragraphs.
(If you simply put a break in the middle of a paragraph, Word makes two
paragraphs out of it.) If the last paragraph in the left column is long, I'd
like to have it fill the first column and just spill over. Any way to do
this easily?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Two-column page with unequal columns.

Yes, there is a way to create a two-column page with unequal columns in Microsoft Word. Here are the steps:
  1. Insert a section break where you want the two-column layout to begin. To do this, go to the Page Layout tab, click on Breaks, and select Next Page under Section Breaks.
  2. Place your cursor where you want the two-column layout to begin and go to the Page Layout tab.
  3. Click on Columns and select Two.
  4. Now, go to the Page Layout tab again and click on Columns. This time, select More Columns.
  5. In the Columns dialog box, select the option for Two columns and then click on the button for Columns of unequal width.
  6. In the Width and spacing section, enter the width for the first column and the width for the second column. You can also adjust the spacing between the columns.
  7. Click OK to apply the changes.
  8. Now, you can start typing your text in the two-column layout. Word will automatically flow the text from the first column to the second column as needed.
  9. If you want to force a column break in the middle of a paragraph, you can use a manual column break. To do this, place your cursor where you want the break to occur and go to the Page Layout tab. Click on Breaks and select Column under Section Breaks.
  10. If you want to adjust the column widths or spacing later on, you can go back to the Columns dialog box by clicking on Columns under the Page Layout tab and selecting More Columns.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Jim wrote:
I've inserted a section break into a normal single-column .doc and
inserted some text in two columns. Then there's another section
break and back to a single-column format. Trouble is, Word
automatically decides where to break the 2-column layout, so that
both columns are the same length. What I want to do is fill up the
first column, have it spill into the second with what's left over and
then hold still, even if the second column is only a short bit.

I can insert a manual column break, but this has to be between
paragraphs. (If you simply put a break in the middle of a paragraph,
Word makes two paragraphs out of it.) If the last paragraph in the
left column is long, I'd like to have it fill the first column and
just spill over. Any way to do this easily?

There is an option that controls this, but it takes effect for the whole
document -- that is, if you have more than one two-column section, you can't
have one balanced and another not balanced.

In Word 2003 or earlier, go to Tools Options Compatibility and check the
box for "Don't balance columns for Continuous section starts".

In Word 2007, Go to Office button Word Options Advanced, scroll all the
way to the bottom and click Layout Options, and check the box for the same
option as above.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Jim is offline

Thanks, Jay;

I suppose the option change 'sticks' with the installation of Word, not just
the document. Thus if my 'unblanced' .doc is opened on another computer, the
columns will be balanced? Rather than 'buck the system,' I think I'll just
break columns manually where I can. There's always a way to split a
paragraph into two by adding some unnecessary words.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Jim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, fortunately Compatibility Options are saved with the document. This
means that they (a) travel with the document and (b) don't apply to any
other documents (unless you make them the default).

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Jim wrote:
[...]

so