Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Clark Andrews Clark Andrews is offline

Default Word 2007 Horizontal lines above/below text

In Word 2007, how do I insert horizontal lines above and below text with
equal space above and below text
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Word 2007 Horizontal lines above/below text

To insert horizontal lines above and below text with equal space above and below the text in Word 2007, follow these steps:
  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the horizontal line.
  2. Click on the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. In the "Paragraph" section, click on the "Borders" icon.
  4. Select "Horizontal Line" from the drop-down menu.
  5. A line will be inserted into your document. Click on the line to select it.
  6. Click on the "Format" tab in the ribbon.
  7. In the "Shape Styles" section, click on the "Shape Fill" drop-down menu.
  8. Select "No Fill" to remove any color from the line.
  9. Click on the "Shape Outline" drop-down menu.
  10. Select a color for the line if you want it to be a different color than the default black.
  11. Click on the "Weight" drop-down menu to adjust the thickness of the line if desired.
  12. Click on the "Horizontal Line" icon again to insert another line below the text.
  13. Repeat steps 5-11 to format the second line.
  14. Adjust the spacing above and below the text by clicking on the "Line Spacing" icon in the "Paragraph" section of the ribbon and selecting "Add Space Before Paragraph" or "Add Space After Paragraph" as needed.

That's it! You should now have two horizontal lines above and below your text with equal space above and below the text.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kristine Kristine is offline

Clark,

You can do this easily with Page Borders.
Select the paragrah you want lines above and below. Choose the Format menu,
and then Borders & Shading. In the borders tab, click above the shaded
section in the preview to place a line above and click below the shaded
section to place a line below.

To set the spacing click the Options button in the lower right corner. Set
the top & bottom spacing. Click OK & OK.

There you are.

I hope this helps.

Kristine

"Clark Andrews" wrote:

In Word 2007, how do I insert horizontal lines above and below text with
equal space above and below text

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What you describe would be a paragraph border rather than a page border, but
a paragraph border is doubtless what Clark wants, anyway.

In Word 2007 the Borders and Shading dialog is accessed via a button in the
Paragraph group on the Home tab. The menu from which it is selected also
includes buttons (identical to those in the Borders palette accessible from
the Formatting toolbar in previous versions) that allow the user to apply
specific borders (top, bottom, left, right, etc.) directly, using the
current settings. But the dialog must be used to change the color or weight
of the current border.

http://word.mvps.org

"Clark Andrews" wrote:

In Word 2007, how do I insert horizontal lines above and below text with
equal space above and below text

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Clark Andrews[_2_] Clark Andrews[_2_] is offline

This seemed to work perfectly. If I wanted to have more or less space
between the text and the horizontal line, how would I adjust it?

"Clark Andrews" wrote:

In Word 2007, how do I insert horizontal lines above and below text with
equal space above and below text

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Clark Andrews[_2_] Clark Andrews[_2_] is offline

Thanks for your help. It certainly helped me install the lines. I wasn't
quite able to figure out how to adjust the spacing above and below the text
though. With Word 20007 which is what we now have, it seems like the
paragraph suggestion of Suzanne Barnhill made the space above and below the
text equal, but she didn't explain how that could be adjusted if it can be.
But both of you were helpful and I appreciate it.

"Clark Andrews" wrote:

In Word 2007, how do I insert horizontal lines above and below text with
equal space above and below text

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

In that same dialog there is a button "Borders and Shading Options."

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Clark Andrews[_2_] Clark Andrews[_2_] is offline

That worked perfectly. I wouldn't have figured that out in a million years.
Thanks so much. I'll bet I spent over an hour fooling around with that
Sunday and Monday.