Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SD SD is offline

Default Word 2007: insert object from file, display as icon

When inserting an object from file, displaying as an icon, my filename
appears below the icon but it is truncated. If i try to drag the resize
handles of the ison, the icon and text simply stretch. How do I show the
full filename below the icon?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Word 2007: insert object from file, display as icon

Hey there! I'd be happy to help you with this issue.

To show the full filename below the icon when inserting an object from file and displaying as an icon in Word 2007, you can follow these steps:
  1. Click on the icon to select it.
  2. Right-click on the icon and select "Format Object" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Format Object" dialog box, select the "Size" tab.
  4. Under "Size and Position," uncheck the "Lock aspect ratio" box.
  5. Adjust the height of the icon by increasing the "Height" value until the full filename is displayed below the icon.
  6. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

This should allow you to display the full filename below the icon without stretching the icon or text. Let me know if this helps or if you have any other questions!
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi S.D,

The icon is a .WMF graphic created on the fly by Office. It uses an underlying system font (usually Tahoma) to create the two line
text for the icon and that limits the #of caption characters that appear to be around 30 some, depending on spacing and characters
with a default size of 8pts)

Off hand, I don't recall if the setting is accessible to allow you to change the font for that feature. It may be related to the
Window metrics used in various places for captioning rather than just in Office.

=============
"SD" wrote in message ...
When inserting an object from file, displaying as an icon, my filename
appears below the icon but it is truncated. If i try to drag the resize
handles of the ison, the icon and text simply stretch. How do I show the
full filename below the icon?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SD SD is offline

Hi TedMi,

I could do that, however, it takes away from the readability a bit.
I may have to though, if there's no workable solution.

Thanks
SD

"SD" wrote:

When inserting an object from file, displaying as an icon, my filename
appears below the icon but it is truncated. If i try to drag the resize
handles of the ison, the icon and text simply stretch. How do I show the
full filename below the icon?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi S.D.,

Okay part of that previous reply was missing

In addition to TedMi's suggestion, to shorten the name to fit, is to create your own caption and group it with the icon.

When you're using Insert=Object=Object=Create from file,
after selecting the file you want

1. Click on the [x] Display as icon choice.

2. Use [Change Icon].

3. At this point you have a couple of choices.

(a) Shorten the name to a 36 or so character one and proceed as normal, skipping the rest of the steps here, or

(b) Select the entire caption, right click and choose copy.

4. While still in the [Change Icon] choice with the caption selected type a space to replace the filename suggested caption, close
the dialog and insert the icon in the document.

5. Click on the icon and in the Drawing Tools=Format ribbon select 'text wrapping' and choose 'in front of text' for now.

6. Insert=Shape and insert a textbox, set that to 'in front of text as well'.

7. Insert your cursor in the textbox and paste the text you copied in step 4(b), then apply the font and text size you want and
apply/remove the line borders on the text box using the Drawing Tools.

8. Position the textbox below the inserted icon, then hold the shift key and click on the icon so that both items are selected, then
right click and group the items. If you normally use 'in line with text' wrapping, change to that for the modified group.

===============

"SD" wrote in message ...
When inserting an object from file, displaying as an icon, my filename
appears below the icon but it is truncated. If i try to drag the resize
handles of the ison, the icon and text simply stretch. How do I show the
full filename below the icon?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SD SD is offline

Thanks for the follow-up Bob. That will work, although it's probably not
something I'll get into the habit of doing. I'm curious why the default
behaviour differs in Word 2007 than from Word 2003. In Word 2003, if I
inserted a pdf document as an icon and it had a long filename, the text below
the icon would be wrapped in double quotes. If that text was truncated by
the default initial size of the icon object, I could resize it and show the
remaining text. Strange. I appreciate your help.

Cheers,
SD

"SD" wrote in message ...
When inserting an object from file, displaying as an icon, my filename
appears below the icon but it is truncated. If i try to drag the resize
handles of the ison, the icon and text simply stretch. How do I show the
full filename below the icon?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi S.D.,

In testing this is Word 2003, I get the same behavior as in Word 2007.
One additional workaround is to use Word's caption option to add a title/description, although it wouldn't, by default wrap if you
put the caption in as regular text.