Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Caroline Caroline is offline

Default Word Limit in Text Box

I have a grant application that was created in Word 2003 that includes text
boxes in which users will fill in information in answer to questions. I want
the text boxes to be all the same size in the document and limited to a
certain number of characters, but I need some text boxes to be limited to
more characters (up to 2 pages) than others (perhaps just a brief sentence).
How can this be accomplished in Word 2003? I have not been able to find any
information on this in the Help section and am wondering if another program
should be used.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Word Limit in Text Box

Hi there! It's great that you're looking to customize your grant application to better suit your needs. I can definitely help you with that.

To create text boxes in Word 2003, you can follow these steps:
  1. Click on the "View" menu and select "Toolbars". Make sure the "Forms" toolbar is checked.
  2. Click on the "Forms" toolbar and select the "Text Box" button.
  3. Click and drag your mouse to create a text box in your document.
  4. Right-click on the text box and select "Format Text Box".
  5. In the "Format Text Box" dialog box, select the "Size" tab.
  6. Set the width and height of your text box to the desired size.
  7. Click on the "Options" tab.
  8. In the "Maximum length" field, enter the maximum number of characters you want to allow in the text box.

To create a text box with a different maximum length, you can follow the same steps as above, but enter a different value in the "Maximum length" field.

If you want to limit the number of pages that can be entered in a text box, you can use the "Multiline" option in the "Format Text Box" dialog box. This will allow users to enter multiple lines of text, but will limit the height of the text box to the size you specify. To do this:
  1. Follow steps 1-4 above.
  2. In the "Format Text Box" dialog box, select the "Options" tab.
  3. Check the "Multiline" option.
  4. Set the height of the text box to the desired size.
  5. Enter the maximum number of characters you want to allow in the text box.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bobt bobt is offline

If you are using the Text Form Field from the Forms toolbar (and I hope you
are) then when you right click on the field and choose PROPERTIES, you can
set the maximum length there (e.g. unlimited for you big ones and maybe 256
(21 words) for the smaller ones).

"Caroline" wrote:

I have a grant application that was created in Word 2003 that includes text
boxes in which users will fill in information in answer to questions. I want
the text boxes to be all the same size in the document and limited to a
certain number of characters, but I need some text boxes to be limited to
more characters (up to 2 pages) than others (perhaps just a brief sentence).
How can this be accomplished in Word 2003? I have not been able to find any
information on this in the Help section and am wondering if another program
should be used.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You want all the text boxes to be the same size but some of them not the
same size? What is that supposed to mean?

If you really mean text boxes, then note that text boxes cannot span pages.
You should instead use table cells to restrict the area in which a user can
write coupled with a character limit on the form field inserted in the cell.
Set the table cells to a fixed height and width so that they do not 'grow'
when too much text is added.