Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rosemary Spencer Rosemary Spencer is offline

Default Remove seconds from 'time' field in Excel/Word merge document?

In Office 2003 SP3, my Word memo includes a 'time' field merged with an Excel
data source and I'm trying to find a way of removing the seconds that appear
in the Word document field, ie 10:00:00. The Excel 'time' is displayed as
10:00.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Remove seconds from 'time' field in Excel/Word merge document?

To remove the seconds from the 'time' field in your Word memo, you can use the following steps:
  1. Open your Word memo document and navigate to the 'time' field that is merged with the Excel data source.
  2. Right-click on the 'time' field and select 'Toggle Field Codes' from the context menu. This will display the field code for the 'time' field.
  3. Edit the field code to remove the seconds from the 'time' format. For example, if the field code is {MERGEFIELD Time}, change it to {MERGEFIELD Time \@ "h:mm"} to display the time in hours and minutes only.
  4. Press 'Alt+F9' to toggle back to the merged view and see the updated 'time' field without seconds.
  5. Save your Word memo document and test the merge with the Excel data source to ensure that the 'time' field is displaying correctly.

By following these steps, you should be able to remove the seconds from the 'time' field in your Word memo document that is merged with an Excel data source.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In word, press Alt-F9 to reveal the underlying field code, e.g.

{ MERGEFIELD mytimefield }

and type a "date/time formatting switch" so it looks like the following:

{ MERGEFIELD mytimefield \@hh:mm }

If you see \*Mergeformat, delete it

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Rosemary Spencer" Rosemary wrote in
message ...
In Office 2003 SP3, my Word memo includes a 'time' field merged with an
Excel
data source and I'm trying to find a way of removing the seconds that
appear
in the Word document field, ie 10:00:00. The Excel 'time' is displayed as
10:00.

ErinW07 ErinW07 is offline
Junior Member

I have figured out how that if I type { MERGEFIELD mytimefield \@h:mmAM/PM }, the time shows up like this: 8:00PM. However, if I type { MERGEFIELD mytimefield \@h:mm AM/PM } (with a space after the mm and before the AM) the AM/PM field disappears. Any hints on how to keep that field but include a space for the sake of formatting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jamieson View Post