Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Andrew Hamrick Andrew Hamrick is offline

Default Tab jumps

Word 2000: When I press the tab key the cursor jumps to the middle of the
page instead of tabing to the tab point. What has happened and how do I fix
this. Thanks
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Tab jumps

Hi there! It sounds like your tab settings may have been changed accidentally. Here's how you can fix it:
  1. Open your document in Word 2000.
  2. Click on the "Format" menu at the top of the screen.
  3. Select "Tabs" from the drop-down menu.
  4. In the "Tab stop position" box, make sure the value is set to the distance you want your tabs to be (e.g. 0.5 inches).
  5. In the "Alignment" section, make sure "Left" is selected.
  6. Click the "Set" button.
  7. Click "OK" to close the Tabs dialog box.

Your tab settings should now be fixed and you should be able to use the tab key to move to the next tab stop in your document. If you're still having trouble, try restarting Word or your computer to see if that helps.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

When you press the Tab key, the insertion point moves to the next default or
custom tab stop, and a custom tab stop will override the default ones to the
left of it. (For more on tabs in Word, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/SettingTabs.htm.)

Or are you saying that no tab character is being inserted as you press Tab?
To find out, display nonprinting marks, for example by pressing Ctrl+Shift+8
(for more on nonprinting marks, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Andrew Hamrick" Andrew wrote in message
Word 2000: When I press the tab key the cursor jumps to the middle of the
page instead of tabing to the tab point. What has happened and how do I
fix
this. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Andrew Hamrick[_2_] Andrew Hamrick[_2_] is offline

Found the problem. The page was set up as tables and I needed to press "crlt
+ tab" to get to the next tab stop. Thanks for the help

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

When you press the Tab key, the insertion point moves to the next default or
custom tab stop, and a custom tab stop will override the default ones to the
left of it. (For more on tabs in Word, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/SettingTabs.htm.)

Or are you saying that no tab character is being inserted as you press Tab?
To find out, display nonprinting marks, for example by pressing Ctrl+Shift+8
(for more on nonprinting marks, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Andrew Hamrick" Andrew wrote in message
Word 2000: When I press the tab key the cursor jumps to the middle of the
page instead of tabing to the tab point. What has happened and how do I
fix
this. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad you were able to figure it out, and thank you for the follow-up.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Find What Text jumps around Ken Benson New Users 1 November 23rd 06 12:18 AM
Document jumps down one line brucemon Microsoft Word Help 0 April 7th 06 11:39 AM
cursor jumps Wyoh Microsoft Word Help 0 December 8th 05 04:19 PM
Cursor jumps when scrolling Larry Root Microsoft Word Help 2 October 10th 05 01:06 PM
Zip Field Jumps Out Of Place John Esmay Mailmerge 2 December 14th 04 11:25 PM